Sleepy fish!

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
My fish gave me a scare this morning. When I came home from work (7 am) the room was dark and I went and turned on the tank lights as always because the first thing I do when coming home is greet my kids...
Karma was lying in her cave and wouldn't come to the top. When I tapped she just turned her butt towards me and ignored me. Phlox and Whisper looked terrible! They looked like they had been up all night partying and were hung over! Whisper was especially shocking as she had turned almost completely WHITE! She is usually a bright red! She swam into the cave and hid when I tapped. Phlox was laying between two pillars of his greek temple (a favorite resting spot of his) and wouldn't respond to my voice or tapping. When he finally did he swam clumsily over and leaned on the divider looking dazed. Lava was sleeping quite heavily and it took me a few minutes to get him up. The girls in the 10 gallon were also dazed looking. I could NOT figure out what was wrong! I started shouting at my brother to get up and come look at the fish. He said Whisper looks like she's been bleached! I asked him if he did anything, sprayed anything around the room last night or what. He said he did not. I had asked him to feed the fish as I didn't have time before I left. He said he washed his hands and had no chemicals on them before touching their food. I couldn't figure out why ALL 4 of my tanks had dopey looking fish in them!  I tested the water in all tanks... everything good. I quickly gave them all water changes. Before I even finished the water changes they all perked up and seemed perfectly fine! Whisper emerged from the cave all wiggly and bright red again! Karma was up and wiggling and popping her lips at me like she does when she's hungry.  I came to the conclusion that I had just woke them up too quickly and they were all still sleepy. I've seen my two boys like this before. They sleep so heavy they almost go into a coma!  ;D It's takes forever to get them up! I think from now on I'll just turn the room lights on and give them time to get adjusted before turning on their tank lights. They get so cranky and weird when you wake them from a deep sleep. Afterwards I put my hand in Phlox's tank and cupped it. He swam right in, sat in the palm of my hand and gave me lots of gentle little kisses on my fingertips! It was so sweet!  :-* It was like he was saying "Sorry if we scared you Mom, we were just very sleepy"
Does anyone else have Bettas that sleep like that and are hard to wake up?

gammerus

Well Known
Reaction score
I don't think I have even seen my bettas sleep. What is your secret?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
your experience is exactly why I turn my room lights on about 15 min before I turn the tank lights on it's less startleing (sp)
It's really scary to see your tanks look almost empty which is what happens if I turn my tank lights on first.
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JT and Blaze are always up and about before I ever get up but ALEX is a pill in the morning. He has to be fed first or there is trouble and yet he does not want to get up until about an hour after everyone else. This causes a rebellion most days so I have to take panels and put around Alex's tank so he cannot see me feed the other two and then all is better.

He sleeps so hard and will look like he has died on the plant. He never hears me so I just have to wait until he wakes up. The loaches and otos just do their own thing and to the dickens with me...

Rose

Silverliningq

Reaction score
Had a scare myself over Xmas - I was at my parents in the a/c whilst Zulu was at home in the heat - got home (after dark) and I thought he was dead from the heat. He's still alive and kicking just a heavy sleeper I guess like the other mentioned.

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Silverlining!

As for sleeping fish, I can't recall GB doing any heavy sleeping.  We might catch him sleeping occasionally, either hovering or at the tank's bottom, but he always responds to motion around his tank.  Maybe I'm not paying as much attention as I should.

Mike

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Mr. Red never used to sleep during the day at all. He might have taken a break every now and then, but the only time he would ever really sleep was when I turned out his light at night. He woild go in his barrels and sleep there for the night. Then in the morning when I turned the light on he'd come out and greet and want to be right away. I really miss my little guy. It's so strange not seeing him in there still. Natalie

New Threads