Sleek looking nano tanks with good lighting?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by bettamars, Jul 29, 2015.

1. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it was best place I could find to fit this topic.

I was going to plant my 20 gallon tank, but it has proved to be difficult to find something I like. I also want to replace my 20 high with a 20 long in the future (a long ways in the future) since at the time of my purchase, I didn't know how restricting the 20 high could be in terms of stocking, it also doesn't look as nice imo. I also already have a lot of fake plants and decorations that fit the size, so I figured I'd get a nano tank for either a betta or dwarf puffer and plant it.

I really like the sleek designs of fluval aquariums, but I don't know if the lights are enough to grow live plants (low lights at least). I'm open to other brands of tanks, but I want something that looks really nice and "professional." I know that comes with a high price most of the time, but I'm fine with that.

I'd like to hear your guy's planted nano tank set ups (pictures would be nice too!) and if you have amazon/other online vendor links that would be appreciated as well! I'm looking for something at the very least a 2.5 gallon for a betta or 5 gallons or more for a betta or dwarf puffer. I like the look of the fluval chi, fluval edge, etc.

Thanks in advance!

2. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

I wouldn't keep a dwarf puffer in anything smaller than a ten gallon. I've heard they're messy and small tanks are harder to keep water parameters in check.
    :)

3. OP
    OP
    bettamars

I've read that 5 gallon is the minimum with proper filtration and frequent water changes. I've heard the rule is 1 dwarf puffer per 5 gallons.

4. babynemo

Guess it just depends on where you get your information from.

5. OP
    OP
    bettamars

Yeah, I've just been using what fishlore members have said also. I'll try to aim for a larger aquarium if I were to get a DP, but I don't have room for a standard 10 gallon unfortunately :(

6. babynemo

Maybe stick with a betta, then?
    :)

7. OP
    OP
    bettamars

Now that I think more about it, I might have to stick with a betta as I may not be able to provide live food daily. I think I might leave that for the future when I get my own place. Well, betta it is! Hopefully I can make up my mind on what tank I want now :p

8. babynemo

Goodluck!

9. w

waterlilykari Well Known Member Member

The Fluval Spec V is 5.5 gallons and is gorgeous! I have it set up for our betta. I feel I do have to mention though, I wouldn't recommend it for any betta that had a long tail so that kind of limits you to plakats, Halfmoon plakats, and females though. The reason for this is there is a little slit near the bottom of the false wall that divides the tank from the filter compartment and is intended as a safety to keep the filter from running dry. That small opening was still enough to catch our Halfmoon betta's tail and suck him in, unfortunately killing him in the process. After it happened I did a ton of research to ensure it wouldn't happen again if we reused it with another fish and found some people were simply covering it with a little bit of netting siliconed over it and others simply seal it shut entirely with the silicone before they do any filling/cycling/stocking. That being said, ours was easy to set up, works great, is next to silent (the only noise we here is a trickling sound of water when my son messes with the small spray sat we added for our last betta's comfort) and it cycled in no time.

The only changes I felt the need to make to it were to minor, as opposed to other tanks/filters/setups we have had to do in the past to accommodate the resident fish.
    Because our last betta had such massive fins/tail, the current caught his fins and pushed him around a bit even though it was less than that of our previous tank filter. I solved this using the spray bar off a small internal filter I had stashed away as a backup and substituted iron place of the included output nozzle the tank came with. Other than that, the only other thing I did mainly involved supplementing the filter by cutting a small section of the foam out to fit a packet of Purigen in there. This was only because I was originally skeptical about that style of filter being adequate but in the end was probably an unnecessary addition. I also elected to use the bio-media insert from the tank our betta had been in prior to the Fluval's setup and cycling so as to seed the new tank's filter rather than start all over again by trying to cycle the cartridge that came with the Fluval Spec.

All in all, a great tank. If it fits your needs, I highly recommend it!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. L

Lagiacrus New Member Member

I have a planted fluval edge (12 gal), and while it looks amazing, I cannot recommend it unless you plan on replacing the light, which is incredibly costly. The stock lighting is good enough for low light plants, but the lighting unit is not water proof. My LEDs started going out and corroding, so I had to remove the light from the tank. I ordered a replacement from a 3rd party company, but in order to achieve the seamless look, I had to drop more money than the already expensive tank cost!

If the lights don't blow out, you'd still be dealing with a cumbersome method of turning the lights on and off.

I suggest building your own setup. Mr. Aqua makes really nice looking tanks. Add a good LED light and perhaps an aquaclear 20.

11. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

I just got a second hand AquaOne 320 this weekend, it is 7g and I actually think that the light is too bright for the size of it, but then again, I'm used to my poorly lit 26g.

It looks quite good with white sand and a few plants on it and I am getting an internal filter for nano tanks, let's see how that works.

12. OP
    OP
    bettamars

I have been really looking into the fluval spec in black, but I've been going through Amazon and adding up how much everything I'd like would add up to and it looks like I've got a little bit of saving up to do :p I might try to find a second hand one on eBay or something but it would still be quite the price for everything else as I'm getting a low light plant package along with another low light plant that I want that isn't included in the package. I've also been thinking that since I really want a shrimp tank, but don't really want this entire tank to be dedicated to just shrimp (and I also don't want to risk a betta eating them) I could add a trio of endlers with the shrimp (thinking of getting blue velvet). So now I'm choosing between endlers and shrimp and a betta and a snail. Thanks for the heads up with the long finned bettas, and sorry for your loss :( I think there are ways to divert the nozzle to create a little less current as well.

I have also looked into the Aqueon evolve 4 gallon since it's cheaper, but I don't know if I like that it's not glass and also I've heard the pump is very strong and people have had a hard time trying to baffle it as well.

Hmm... Lots of decisions!

Yes I have read bad things about the fluval edge. I don't think I'll be getting it, not to mention the price! I've seen some Mr. Aqua tanks on Amazon but haven't really looked into them. They do seem to be quite expensive though (more than the fluval spec at least). I've looked into building my own tank and no matter what they always end up being more than a tank kit (it's usually around $30 for a 5.5 gallon tank with a $10-$20 filter $10-$20 16 inch versa top $30+ light which already puts it at about the same expense of not more than the fluval spec v). So far all roads have led to fluval spec v so I think that's the one I'll be going with, thanks for the help!

Never heard of that one and I can't find it on Amazon, but congrats on the new tank!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  13. w

I have heard of the same happening all the time with the Fluval Chi - good looking tank, low current is great for bettas but the light is not sealed adequately so they end up corroding and fail.

14. OP
    OP
    bettamars

Not sure if I should post a new thread or not, but maybe you guys can help me out. I actually think I might get the Aqueon evolve 4 (I've been very back and forth haha) because I have found that some people have gotten filter sponge into the spray nozzle and intake so it's not as much current if I go with the betta. My question is if putting 3 male endlers and blue velvet cherry shrimp is too much (and if endlers are okay to put into there cause I'm not sure if they're too big or not)? Or do you guys have any other suggestions for a couple of fish I could keep with the shrimp?

15. w

It's ok to be on the fence on the tank at the moment. I did the same thing and waffled between the options for what seemed like AGES.

As for choice of fish, I don't know exactly what you are looking for in one (active vs. calm, vivid coloration vs. subdued/soothing) so I don't know that I am the best to recommend one right off the bat like this but I do know Endlers are usually recommended to have at least a 10 gallon. While it is true that they stay a little smaller than their relatives, the guppies, but an inch to inch and a half as opposed to the guppies' two inch adult size is not a major difference in my opinion so I would regard them as similar to guppies in the kind of setup they need to thrive. You would also be limited to only makes or only females unless you were intending to breed them (which does not sound like is your plan since you mentioned only stocking three) in which case, perhaps the nano tank could be modified to work as a fry tank.

I should also warn you now: The Ember Tetra is the one most petstores will say is ok for a small tank like either the Evolve or the Spec but you should be aware that it is so widely debated that you might want to steer clear of them as well for possible stock in either of your potential tanks. I don't personally own them (or Endlers either for that matter) so I did double-check it just to be sure before saying so, and the fish profile page for them here also recommended a minimum of 10 gallons like it did for the Endlers.

16. OP
    OP
    bettamars

I did a little more research and decided that endlers may not be the best decision. I now think I will go with the fluval view 4 gallon aquarium and get a betta and a snail now as it is much cheaper and although it's plastic/acrylic most of the reviews are good. The lights aren't too great but people have said that they're alright for low light plants so I think for it I'll just get anubias barteri, hornwort, Marimo moss balls, and maybe a Java fern or other low lights. Later on I might get a different tank for shrimp instead but I don't think the view would make a very good shrimp tank. I think on the outside I'm going to put black sand and since the intake is so close to the bottom on the middle compartment, I'm putting Quartz pebbles there and might use some of the pebbles to accent the sand too. I'll also see if I can fit a small terra cotta pot in there but some people complained that it's very narrow on the sides. I've read every Amazon review on that tank and it hasn't changed my mind so hopefully I'm set now :p The only thing I don't like is that the filter and lights are connected in one plug so I can't put the lights on a timer but if there's an algae problem hopefully my nerite can help with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice