Skunk Botias..

1. crazedACD Member Member

What is the deal with these little guys? :p I had about 5 left at my store and decided to condense them with my larger tiger barbs...looks like a big mistake! First and second night I found a tiger barb ripped to shreds (thought they were doing it to each other)..and then I was looking today and noticed almost all of the tiger barbs have totally shredded tails. Needless to say, they were quickly moved...but I have two books and their tag that say they are peaceful! Haha...I think not! What are good tank mates for these guys? :;dk Anything else more aggressive than the tigers would eat them...I suppose they will just stay in their own quarters until they are gone.

2. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

i've heard that botias are pretty peaceful... but know how to take care of them selves and can do fine with some cichlids

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Not skunk botias! LOL, they are super aggressive as far as loaches go.

4. Camille Member Member

I have 2 angelicus botias in a tropical community tank and they seem to do fine with the other fish... They are very pretty compared to the skunk botias maybe you should switch to angelicus botias...

-Camille:animal0028:

5. crazedACD Member Member

I have some of the angelicus botias in with dwarf gouramis, they are quite nice. I was just so surprised to see these skunk fellas be so aggressive, for their size.

6. DRock914 Member Member

Skunk botias are very aggressive and will kill off all their tank mates within reason. They also can grow up to 4" I think. You should probably keep them with bigger cichlids or by themselves. I had one that was put in a community tank by mistake and it took out half the tank within a couple of days then it was moved to a tank with a spiny eel in it and they stayed away from each other. Angelicus botias (botia kubotai) are peaceful loaches and do not compare at all to skunk botias.