Skirt tetras laying eggs

Sofiafish17

Hi everyone!
Soooo I woke up and noticed 2 smaller skirt tetras I assume are males chasing around the one bigger one which I assume is female. Then I saw the (assumed) female swim away from an area and a bunch of tiny clear spheres fall down and stick to a plant. There wasn’t many so I think there are probably more in some other places too. I also did a larger than usual water changes yesterday 50% instead of my usual 25%. Nothing was wrong I just wanted some more fish tank water to fertilize my garden with. I have never bred fish before or seen eggs. What should I expect to see happen next? I have always been interested in raising fry I just never have. So I don’t have any idea what to do. I don’t even have a breeder box but I can try to pick one up today. What should I do? How do I collect the eggs, turkey baster? How many should I find? I think they are egg scatterers how long should I look until I assume I’ve found them all? Will a hang on breeder box work for putting the eggs in? I have no other tank but a 5 gal, will that work for raising fry until they are big enough to go in the main room tank? How do I raise fry and what do I feed tetra fry? Culling? As you can see I have no idea what to do. I’m going to do my own research I just figured this would be a good place to look and ask for advice. I just checked for the first time in a few minutes and most of the eggs I have located are gone. I am assuming they have been eaten. Is it even worth it to look for the rest?
Here are some pictures of an egg.

F414F030-CA77-4B83-9DED-78E342C8C9AC.jpeg
2A3255A0-8666-4B63-ADA1-9059C86F701C.jpeg

BigManAquatics

Honestly, most of them if not all are probably eaten. Spawning mops can work goid for collecting eggs from egg scatterers, as they catch the eggs and then you can grab the mops with the eggs and move it all to another tank.

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

So do you think I shouldn’t try to collect the eggs now? I would just let all the eggs get eaten and wait until I get a proper setup before I raise anything. I have never seen eggs before so I just don’t really have a clue.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Thats what i would do. Sure you can find a DIY vid or something somewhere on how to make them kut of yarn :) tryi g to breed can be tough, always works best if at least halfway prepared!

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

Yeah, being prepared sure would help. I didn’t even realize I would be trying to figure out breeding tetras today until about 3 hours ago.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Yeah, being prepared sure would help. I didn’t even realize I would be trying to figure out breeding tetras today until about 3 hours ago.
I am sure they will spawn again before too long, probably several times! You will have time to prepare and practice, if you choose

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies