Skirt tetras & gold tetras

Danerys Fishborn

I had one green neon tetra and 5 gold tetras in what was supposed to be a temporary 5 gallon tank hospital tank for over a year now. During lockdown I purchased 10 green neon tetras online and they sent me gold tetras instead. 5 died during shipping/in the first week.

I finally put the six fish in my 29 gallon tank with 7 skirt tetras and now all the skirt tetras are absolutely hunting the gold tetras down like prey.

I’m so upset and dont know what to do. I have such dense plants and so many hiding places there is no way I will ever be able to catch the gold tetras to remove them.

Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 16

Initiate

To be honest I'm surprised at the aggressive nature of the skirt tetras however personally I've never kept them myself. The best thing to do is to catch the gold tetras and place them back into the quarantine tank. Remove any woodwork and then to catch the fish I place the net in the aquarium against the substrate and then try to corral them into the net.

Upvote 0

Danerys Fishborn

To be honest I'm surprised at the aggressive nature of the skirt tetras however personally I've never kept them myself. The best thing to do is to catch the gold tetras and place them back into the quarantine tank. Remove any woodwork and then to catch the fish I place the net in the aquarium against the substrate and then try to corral them into the net.

Thanks for the response! Here’s an update:
The first light cycle was brutal. The skirts were hunting like a pack. I expected one or two of the dominant skirts to be jerks for a bit but this was war. It was every gold tetra for itself as they got chased to every corner of the tank. It was really hard to watch. They did eventually discover that the base of the rotala was dense enough to seek refuge.

The second light cycle the golds hid, I didn’t see them anywhere in the tank.

The third light cycle the golds finally came out and the skirts seem to be leaving them largely alone. The antagonism is 95% resolved. If you look closely you can even see them in the red circled area.

Honestly, thank heavens because I had no earthly idea how I was going to capture the golds. I’m just not that good with a net.

Attachments

• 3631724C-B9D3-44BA-84AE-C952C69C3FCA.jpeg
    3631724C-B9D3-44BA-84AE-C952C69C3FCA.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

Yeoy

If things get worse again you could try catching the skirts instead, even if it's just temporary, until you can get the golds. The other option is you could try having something taller e.g. wood or your long plant at the back (val?) in the middle of the tank to help break up line of sight? Otherwise 95% of your tank is just one big open area which makes chasing more lightly. Hope it works out!

Upvote 0

Danerys Fishborn

If things get worse again you could try catching the skirts instead, even if it's just temporary, until you can get the golds. The other option is you could try having something taller e.g. wood or your long plant at the back (val?) in the middle of the tank to help break up line of sight? Otherwise 95% of your tank is just one big open area which makes chasing more lightly. Hope it works out!

UPDATE:
The chaos is over. The skirts chased the golds like assassins for a day and then it was over. No idea why it started out so rough, I’m just glad they’re living peacefully!

In fact, things are better than ever for the golds because the skirts act as dither fish. Which I had assumed would be the case before I combined them because all the golds ever did in the 5G was hide and come out to eat. So I’m really pleased because the golds have a much better quality of lifein the 29g than the 5g.

I know it looks like 95% of the tank is empty but that’s an optical illusion. There is plexiglass dividing the tank in half - gravel in the front and eco complete in the back. The rotala grows thick and out of control. I’m attaching a photo from another angle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views