Skinny pregnant guppy?

SamanthaJane

Hello! I've recently been trying to get my guppy pregnant. I have transfered her and a partner (male ofcourse) to a 10 gallon tank where they hopefully "did the nasty". A few weeks (2) later I noticed the gravid spot was very dark and noticeable, however the guppy does not look pregnant! She is not too thin where I'm sure shes not pregnant, but also not fat where I'm sure she's pregnant. The only thing that signs for pregnancy is that dark gravid spot.
Also should I keep the male with her even if she is pregnant? He keeps chasing after her which makes me worry about her being stressed.
Thsnk you guys!! I hope I get a reply :(Screenshot_20200429_211538_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

SamanthaJane

Hello! I've had this guppy for 2 month now, she is only a few month old. She is in a 30 gallon tank with a male guppy and some other peaceful tank mates. Recently I noticed her gravid spot appear dark and big. She does not look pregnant though. She is not too skinny where I'm sure she isn't pregnant but also she isn't fat. Her gravid spot is the only indication for her pregnancy and I repeat she isn't too thin or too fat. Is she pregnant?
I moved her to a separate 7 gallon tank with a filter and heater in order to give her a fighting chance to give birth
Also should I place the male with her in the new tank? He keeps chasing her so I'm hesitant to put him in with her in the new tank (might lead to stress)

Thank you!!!

Attachments

Deku-Cory

She is in the early stages of pregnancy, and probably won't be giving birth for a few more weeks.

SamanthaJane

Deku-Cory said:
She is in the early stages of pregnancy, and probably won't be giving birth for a few more weeks.
Thank you so much! Do you think I should keep the male with her even though he's constantly chasing after her?

!poogs!

Yes she is gravid. Being gravid doesn’t mean impending birth. It can take as little as 28 days or as long as 45 days for that to happen. Developments of fry in the female is dependant on water temperature and lighting.

The male doesn’t need to be in the tank anymore. In fact she can have as many as 4 or 5 more broods of fry without the male ever being placed back in the tank. It’s just how they role.

SamanthaJane

!poogs! said:
Yes she is gravid. Being gravid doesn’t mean impending birth. It can take as little as 28 days or as long as 45 days for that to happen. Developments of fry in the female is dependant on water temperature and lighting.

The male doesn’t need to be in the tank anymore. In fact she can have as many as 4 or 5 more broods of fry without the male ever being placed back in the tank. It’s just how they role.
Thank you so much!!
So she is pregnant but still very early?
The tank is a steady 78 F and on a dim lighting (she's new in the tank I didn't wana stress her with lighting) however I'll be sure to install better lights.
Also do you think I should return her to the 30 gallon community tank with the other male guppy? Or should I keep her alone in this 10 gallon tank as her new home?
Thank you again!!

AquaCaitlin

She is either
A) In the early stages of pregnancy

or possibly

B) Infertile. I had a female that showed her gravid spot, lived with males, but never dropped any fry or got pregnant.

Although I doubt this is the case for you, I’m not sure how common it is in guppies. My guess is she’s stressed from the male chasing her and even though she has the sperm stored she’s not ready to have fry.

zorianak

She's also likely young. Younger ones won't drop a ton of fry off the bat. If she's fertile and has been with a male, she's pregnant.

Unless you have other females in the tank, I would not keep the male with her as he will stress her out.

Deku-Cory

SamanthaJane said:
Thank you so much! Do you think I should keep the male with her even though he's constantly chasing after her?
If she's happy in the tank she's currently in, I'd leave her there. Male guppies can be relentless, especially with only one female.

!poogs!

SamanthaJane said:
Thank you so much!!
So she is pregnant but still very early?
The tank is a steady 78 F and on a dim lighting (she's new in the tank I didn't wana stress her with lighting) however I'll be sure to install better lights.
Also do you think I should return her to the 30 gallon community tank with the other male guppy? Or should I keep her alone in this 10 gallon tank as her new home?
Thank you again!!
Yes she is gravid.

In my community tanks I have strict rule for live breeders. Either all males or all females, or 1 male to 5 females.

I depends what you want accomplish. If you want her to have fry keep her alone in the tank for a month or month and half and see what happens. If you don’t care what happens to the fry, then put her back in the community.

SamanthaJane

!poogs! said:
Yes she is gravid.

In my community tanks I have strict rule for live breeders. Either all males or all females, or 1 male to 5 females.

I depends what you want accomplish. If you want her to have fry keep her alone in the tank for a month or month and half and see what happens. If you don’t care what happens to the fry, then put her back in the community.
Thank you!! I'd love to have some fry actually since in quarantine. I know she's not a fancy guppy but there's a shortage of female guppies around here. The male guppy is a fancy guppy so fingers crossed!

Top Bottom