Skinny Panda Cory?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Fish'd, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Fish'd

Fish'd Valued Member Member

All of my fish have a nice size- my pandas are nice and plump, and my kuhli loaches have gained size in both length and width. But, one cory is extremely skinny. So thin, in fact, that he's being blown around by the current, helpless to right himself!

My fish don't rush to the algae wafers I drop in like they used to, but I think that's because I may have broke the cycle for a little bit. I should be able to get a water test soon, but my last one read a little bit of ammonia.

Anyway, they must be eating it when I'm not looking because it's gone in the morning, the fish are plump, and their fins are erect... except for that little one... also, his barbels are nearly worn clean off of his face! The others have slightly worn ones, but they seem to be the same, or growing back.

What should I do? I don't want to lose him!

Thanks in advance!

2. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Test water for ammonia and nitrites as soon as possible! Are you over feeding? Can you tell me more on your tank set up?

3. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

I have a 3 month old 10 gallon, sand substrate, with some smooth rocks here and there. There is one moderately pointy rock, but they don't mess with it. There are 5 plastic plants, with some itty bitty ones scattered around for cover. A shotglass and a ceramic sign are for decoration and possibly a hiding spot. There is a bubble bar behind the plants. There is a heater, a filter, a thermometer, and a hood light. The tank sits on a stand in front of a window that has blinds that are never open.

I put in half and algae wafer every other day, because they don't immediately grab it, and I don't want to make the water worse than it is. I did put in a full wafer today- they barely touched it. They are the Hikari brand.

I tried to make sure I added everything in the description, lol. Hopefully it helps. :]

4. Stang Man

Wafers may polluting water have you tried zucchini yet?

5. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

I haven't... I've tried shrimp pellets, and they don't like them. The pellets are extremely messy and hard to clean up when they break apart, too, so I stopped using them. I also tried freeze-dried blood worms, but to my dismay, I found out that they don't sink. ]:

I will try a zucchini. Don't you microwave them or something?

6. Stang Man

No feed them raw. If you nuke them they dont get the nutrients they need. Slice a zuc into qtrs long ways then cut a qtr. piece off a slice don't put them in and forget about it let them eat for an hour or more. Then take them out or water will get cloudy.

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Cories aren't really algae eaters. They like to eat meatier things. You could try getting some sinking shrimp pellets for them.

8. fishdude360

fishdude360 Valued Member Member

he said they dont like them

9. x

xxSTEPHENSxx Valued Member Member

My cories really like the granuals and flakes that sink to the bottom.

10. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Frozen bloodworms or blackworms should work. I haven't yet heard of a fish that'll refuse them.

Try to use a turkey baster to target feed the cory, i.e., thaw the worms in a cup of tank water, then use the turkey baster to suck up some worms. Reach your hand in the tank, get near the cory, and squirt the worms in his direction.

11. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

I have freeze-dried bloodworms, but I can't get them to sink. D:

I've been worried I haven't been feeding them right, but everyone seems so good but him! I guess I'll try to find a zucchini...

12. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

Hikari makes a wafer for catfish, loaches, etc. I just picked some up today, and my pandas ate them up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice