Skinny Pale Cory

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my spotted cory is very very pale and skinny and will not eat. He lays on his side. Should I treat him with any antibacterial? I would feed him brine shrimp or peas but he wont even eat.

Edit: I would also like to mention my water parameters are constantly monitored and they are not the issue.

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes parameters are good, all other corys are fat and active, temp is around 79. Everyonce in a while he sits up straight but he is very skinny and lethargic.

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I havent been in the fish hobby long. I have never had a sick fish until now. I have some ich medication, aquarium salt, and Melafix.
I would try some metronidazole.
Sounds like a protozoan infection that has lead to a secondary bacterial infection.
If you can find it, try either Seachem Metroplex or Hikari Metro+ (the most economical option).
I like these two over API General Cure because both have a stronger concentration of metronidazole--- which acts as a anti-parasitic and an antibacterial.

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would try some metronidazole.
Sounds like a protozoan infection that has lead to a secondary bacterial infection.
If you can find it, try either Seachem Metroplex or Hikari Metro+ (the most economical option).
I like these two over API General Cure because both have a stronger concentration of metronidazole--- which acts as a anti-parasitic and an antibacterial.
Thank you very much. I will look for some today. Would it be harmful to treat the main tank as well that he came from as a precation? It has snails, female bettas and other corys.

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Unfortunately by the time I came to a solid diagnosis and got the meds, she had passed away

Praziquantal was what was recommended

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately by the time I came to a solid diagnosis and got the meds, she had passed away

Praziquantal was what was recommended
That may have been a misdiagnosis.

Thank you very much. I will look for some today. Would it be harmful to treat the main tank as well that he came from as a precation? It has snails, female bettas and other corys.
It's not necessary to treat the whole tank if no symptoms in other fish--- it is an opportunistic organism/infection
Many fish have this protozoa in their guts but are able to control it through a healthy immune system. But, if you have a weak or stressed fish, this parasite can gain the upper hand.
I have not noticed any issues by using metronidazole with fish or plants.
I have never had snails, however, so not sure about the effects of metro on snails.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank is 20 gallon tall. Water parameters are good, I test every night with the master test kit, I know its not the issue. I use Prime to condition my water. 4 female baby bettas and 4 other corycats.

If you need specific paramters 0/.25/.25, and have done a partial water change with prime after testing. Tank in not fully cycled but I do monitor it closley.

I feed peas once a week, frizen brine shrimp twice a week, and the corys get the scraps from the bettas and sinking pellets every night

Last edited by a moderator:

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What makes you say that @Discusluv ??
Prazi can kill one internal parasite, the tapeworm.
It may have been tapeworms (the underlying cause of infection), but, more likely not.
Tapeworm usually gives early signs ( white feces) where protozoa often dont exhibit symptoms until later stages: fish stops eating/internal bacteria takes hold/ has white feces.
By that time, the fish has acquired a secondary bacterial infection and the issues the fish are experiencing are far advanced.
Can you link to thread?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You said "Prazi can kill one internal parasite, the tapeworm." Which makes it sound like that's all it can kill. So I wanted to clarify that it can treat internal flukes as well.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Praziquantel is used to treat internal flukes as well, in all other animals it's used in. Why wouldn't it be useful for internal flukes in fish as well? Do you have sources that say it doesn't work?

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Praziquantel is used to treat internal flukes as well, in all other animals it's used in. Why wouldn't it be useful for internal flukes in fish as well? Do you have sources that say it doesn't work?
Ah, I see, I didn't realize there were "internal flukes". What is the scientific name of this parasite?

Are they in the gut? I thought Praziquantel couldn't be absorbed into tissues?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom