Skinny minnow

Sarah1230ox

Hey all ive had these fish around four months the tank is 30 litres ammonia 0 nitrtie 0 nitrate 5.. It was originally only a qt tank but i decided the goldfish in my main tank would probably eat the minnows.... Anyways one of them has never gotten fatter, its so small and im not sure its normal he doesnt seem bothered about food so tired something different which he would grab then spit out!! So going to go buy another different food.today to try everyone else is fine, could he be ill or a runt? Or does he look fine? Thanks!

IMG_20200911_125813.jpg

IMG_20200911_125810.jpg

FishBoy101

Sarah1230ox said:
Hey all ive had these fish around four months the tank is 30 litres ammonia 0 nitrtie 0 nitrate 5.. It was originally only a qt tank but i decided the goldfish in my main tank would probably eat the minnows.... Anyways one of them has never gotten fatter, its so small and im not sure its normal he doesnt seem bothered about food so tired something different which he would grab then spit out!! So going to go buy another different food.today to try everyone else is fine, could he be ill or a runt? Or does he look fine? Thanks!

IMG_20200911_125813.jpg

IMG_20200911_125810.jpg
No matter if they like the food or not, when they are hungry enough the will. Don't change anything, feed the same thing.

Sarah1230ox

FishBoy101 said:
No matter if they like the food or not, when they are hungry enough the will. Don't change anything, feed the same thing.
Ok thank you. Does he look skinny to you?

FishBoy101

Sarah1230ox said:
Ok thank you. Does he look skinny to you?
Not skinny at all, compared to the others, they are a skinny, but the other WCM are very well fed.

Skrabbitskrabbit

I have WCMMs and some are crazy about food and others a bit dense. And ya some are more on the skinny side. I think the alphas get bigger quicker. Yours looks like my little girl and the big girl (fat middle one in first pic) may have eggs in there?
Anyways I’m no expert but it looks okay unless you notice it just doesn’t eat.
ps mine eat goldfish flakes

Sarah1230ox

Skrabbitskrabbit said:
I have WCMMs and some are crazy about food and others a bit dense. And ya some are more on the skinny side. I think the alphas get bigger quicker. Yours looks like my little girl and the big girl (fat middle one in first pic) may have eggs in there?
Anyways I’m no expert but it looks okay unless you notice it just doesn’t eat.
ps mine eat goldfish flakes
Yeah this Lil guy just isnt bothered about food im.worried about him. She may have eggs! Not sure. So should i just leave him.be? They have a mix of goldfish flakes and temperate pellets

Sarah1230ox

Kinda not sure what to do, hes been shy since i got him four months ago. Theres no sign of illness, he just isnt active and sorta hides plus i never see him eat...i dont know if the two platy make him scared? They are moving to my main tank soon just treating the main tank for flukes atm. So the.minnows will then have this 30 litre qt tank to them selves. Could he just be a nervous runt?

IMG_20200913_140226.jpg

Skrabbitskrabbit

Do you have a school of them or just a couple? If less than 6, maybe she’s just shy or scared. I need to increase my school cuz I lost 2 in the past several months but my LFS is out right now trying to order some more. Here’s a photo of a few of mine. They’re gold WCMMs

AEE615CF-C4AC-4734-A989-E1438E646B7F.jpeg

The front blurry one used to be my little girl and now she’s big and fat (possibly eggs?). The one in back on the right is my original lady so she’s older and stays pretty thin as you can see. She usually eats flakes as they float down past her but the fatty girl is always first to the food.
I hope it’s nothing to worry about but I’m rather new to the hobby and these I have only had since May.

Sarah1230ox

Skrabbitskrabbit said:
Do you have a school of them or just a couple? If less than 6, maybe she’s just shy or scared. I need to increase my school cuz I lost 2 in the past several months but my LFS is out right now trying to order some more. Here’s a photo of a few of mine. They’re gold WCMMs

AEE615CF-C4AC-4734-A989-E1438E646B7F.jpeg

The front blurry one used to be my little girl and now she’s big and fat (possibly eggs?). The one in back on the right is my original lady so she’s older and stays pretty thin as you can see. She usually eats flakes as they float down past her but the fatty girl is always first to the food.
I hope it’s nothing to worry about but I’m rather new to the hobby and these I have only had since May.
Yes there are six! He/she is the smallest of the lot, and really isnt interested in food or swimming much not sure what to do!

Maybe its normal, your smaller one looks about the size of mine, maybe they are lower ranking in the group?

Skrabbitskrabbit

Sarah1230ox said:
Yes there are six! He/she is the smallest of the lot, and really isnt interested in food or swimming much not sure what to do!

Maybe its normal, your smaller one looks about the size of mine, maybe they are lower ranking in the group?
Hopefully it will help when they have their own tank. Even my skinny one still swims and explores so it may be scared of the other fish they live with. Wish I could help more!

Sarah1230ox

Skrabbitskrabbit said:
Hopefully it will help when they have their own tank. Even my skinny one still swims and explores so it may be scared of the other fish they live with. Wish I could help more!
Fingers crossed!!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom