Skinny cory

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all. I have three peppered cories in my 29gal tank (will up that to five once I get my replacement pair of GBRs since this tank had a MAJOR accident today) and one of them is way smaller and skinnier than the other two. He is fairly active, but he's just so small. How can I make sure that he's getting enough to eat? Should I move him to a different tank to fatten him up, then put him back with his buddies once he's gained some weight? Currently in that tank I have 7 tiger barbs, 1 SA bumblebee catfish, 1 BN pleco and the three cories. I purposefully overfeed the tank slightly so that the bottom feeders have a variety of food to eat (bottom feeder pellets on top of whatever they can scavenge). I don't see the other two cories chasing him at all. In fact, he kind of just stays to himself.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think males are a lot smaller, well at least mine is. My cory is the same, and I have considered putting him in a separate tank... but he seemed OK so I didn't...

I don't think it is anything to worry about.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kk...He's not just a little bit smaller...he's like half their size. Hopefully he'll be okay. I guess I shouldn't worry too much about him...even at his size, he's survived longer than the two albino cories I got from Petsmart last week (I've had the three peppered cories for about three weeks now).

Here's a pic of one of my peppered cories (not the skinny one...this is the one I call "Jaws" 'cuz he likes to mess with the tiger barbs) next to my SA bumblebee cat, just for grins and giggles:
464.jpg

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
you could isolate him... but as my mum (whos a nurse) says ''sometimes you can do too much, and sometimes its better to let nature to take its path'' I would just leave him if hes active.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, I think I'm just going to leave him. I tried to get a pic of him near one of the other two, but the other two were having too much fun harrassing Grover (the SA bumblebee cat). lol

Rigolle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've got 6 Corydora's, 3 Peppered & 3 Julii. I got the 3 Peppered Cory's about three months ago, all the same size when I got them (around an inch long), but now I have one that is almost 3 inches long (my partner & I call her "the beast"), the second is slightly smaller but the third one has hardly grown, he is half the size of "The Beast", I got 3 Julii Cory's around six weeks ago and they are now all bigger than the small Peppered Cory.

I've also been tempted to move him somewhere to feed him up, but I see him at feeding time and he is getting his fair share, and I think he is the father to the Corydora eggs I found in the tank afew days ago, so a case of size isnt everything???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom