Skinny Clown Loach and not grouping with other clowns

nonsenz

HI first time poster.
My clown loach has not been looking to well for about a week, and it has become really skinny. Its still eating fine but doesn't seem to group with the other clowns anymore. Any ideas of what is wrong?
Thanks,
Brian

5d006098f71f83c3f165f9220898a25b.jpg

fishfix

Might be some sort of internal parasite-sounds almost like "skinny disease" but I'm not too sure hmmm.

esdwa

For parasites prevention I use UV sterilizer turning it on once a week or two for a full day.

Never had a single problem with any fish being sick since I use it .

Nataku

This may well be the classic 'skinny disease' which occurs in loaches. Sure sounds like it if he's still active and eating but loosing weight.
Standard treatment is Levamisol HCL, treat the whole tank, it's safe for plants and inverts.

nonsenz

Okay, that's what I have been reading, thanks for the help guys!

esdwa

Beautiful living tank, btw.

Good luck with the loach!
And remember about prevention after curing the fish.

DSC_0448.JPG

FranM

Your picture was crystal clear and perfect. Is that the only clown in your tank? One of my clowns has had a chronic case of skinny. It comes. It gets treated and goes, then creeps back again. Not being 100% sure of the cause and only relying on research, I’d treated with PraziPro and also fed medicated flakes with metronidazole. That all worked and my clown recovered. A year later the same thing has happened. I found Levamisole infused flakes and they did nothing. (I also treated with PraziPro too, not at the same time). No improvement. I bought a product called Metro (same maker as PraziPro) and made my own medicated food. Big improvement! How is your doing?

Redshark1

The fish collection photographed looks great but I wondered about the temperature as there are low temperature fish (barbs) with high temperature fish (Angels and Loaches).

Are the Clown Loaches being kept at their preferred temperature of 26C ?

Otherwise, as the fish is feeding well I think it could be the Skinny Disease I have read about online.

esdwa

Your picture was crystal clear and perfect. Is that the only clown in your tank? One of my clowns has had a chronic case of skinny. It comes. It gets treated and goes, then creeps back again. Not being 100% sure of the cause and only relying on research, I’d treated with PraziPro and also fed medicated flakes with metronidazole. That all worked and my clown recovered. A year later the same thing has happened. I found Levamisole infused flakes and they did nothing. (I also treated with PraziPro too, not at the same time). No improvement. I bought a product called Metro (same maker as PraziPro) and made my own medicated food. Big improvement! How is your doing?
I have 6-pack of clown loaches. They are now almost 4 inch long and in couple weeks all move to 125gal tank I am preparing.

The fish collection photographed looks great but I wondered about the temperature as there are low temperature fish (barbs) with high temperature fish (Angels and Loaches).

Otherwise, as the fish is feeding well I think it could be the Skinny Disease I have read about online.
Not sure if you are asking me about it as I do not have any problems in the tank anymore neither with fish which grow like crazy. The temp setpoint is 26.5C.

Redshark1

Thanks but no I was asking the OP.

Your tank looks great too by the way.

esdwa

Thanks but no I was asking the OP.

Your tank looks great too by the way.
HI Redhark1
Just wanted to share with you my latest news which is I am finally moving my loaches to 125gal tank. This should help them keep growing, as in present 65gal it felt like they stopped. Still feeling happy campers they are about 4in now.

I am describing this move effort in separate thread and I appreciate every feedback to make this transition effective and safe for my fish.

Less Than 4-hour 65gal To 125gal Move | Freshwater Aquarium Builds 335561

Redshark1

Thanks I will watch the thread. Good luck I think they will grow again no problem. My fish have continued to grow even after they reached 20 years of age.

Francine

My loaches do well at a higher temperature (over a year now) in fact higher temperatures can often cure “some” infections and diseases better than medicating them

FranM

Hopefully the skinny problem is no longer an issue. My clown’s skinny problem came back and I was told on another forum to use KusurI wormer. Active ingredient is Flubendazole. Worked fabulously!

coralbandit

Flubendazole is the cure for 'wasting disease'...
The others besides levamisole[in appropriate for issue] are weaker versions that will not kill but weaken the issue IMO .

FranM

Right, that’s what my clown looked like. Knife back, skinny disease, whatever you call it my fish looked the same. I used Kusuri. Check out this pic to see the before and after.

A10-B0694-9582-46-E7-8-E83-0-AA696-D6-B06-E.jpg

Riot36

This is probably unrelated but has anybody noticed their loaches sleeping really hard I feel real bad I noticed mine in a log and I had a pictures I meant to poke him but instead I pinched him he was not dead but now he is I feel really terrible about this is anybody else made this mistake ever?

jake37

Did you ever figure out your skinny problem? When I purchased my loaches 2 of them were similar to the one in your picture - maybe more boney - but now a few months later they are fat little buggers - I think they just didn't get enough food in the shop - one thing I observed is that when I first got my loaches - the skinny one was very aggressive around food - chasing angles and tetra away while I he ate - now that he is more plump he has settled down - the only real problem I have is one of them (I have 4) is very very shy - I purchased 3 and then a week later a 4th and that 4th one (has never really gotten over his shyness - while the school is small I do have 5 zebra loaches to keep them company).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Riot36
  • Question
Replies