Skimmer Recommendation For A 75g Or 125g Display Tank

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all,

Extremely green in the world of saltwater. I understand some of the basic concepts, have watched a ridiculous amount of youtube, read a bunch of the stickies here, asked my aunt etc.....

I am looking to SLOWLY build a SW Reef Tank setup.

I am thinking about starting with a DIY sump, and am looking for recommendations on a protein skimmer for either a 75g or 125g display tank.

The plan will most likely be to start with Live rock and fish and eventually switch to coral. So, planning on spending up front money on larger tank size, good skimmer, ATO, sump, powerheads.... you get the jist.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hard to go wrong with Reef Octopus, Bubble Magus or Eshoppes (Nyos makes nice ones too but they are really pricey). Just a suggestion though, you can often find complete used setups for much less, so I would look into that as then you get equipment that has already been selected to work with that given setup. I bought my current 90 gallon setup used.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The brands Terrance mentioned are very good.
You basically want a protein skimmer rated for 2x your tank volume ...
So for the 75g you want 150gph or for the 125 you want 250gph..
No harm in having the biggest skimmer you can get ..In this case bigger is better ..

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hard to go wrong with Reef Octopus, Bubble Magus or Eshoppes (Nyos makes nice ones too but they are really pricey). Just a suggestion though, you can often find complete used setups for much less, so I would look into that as then you get equipment that has already been selected to work with that given setup. I bought my current 90 gallon setup used.
I assume you find your used setups on letgo/craigslist/facebook yeah?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom