Size?

1. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi everybody,
    Im wondering about how big bettas can get?
    My new female Rosy is huge, she would have to be 2.5 inches and shes round too, like fat i mean.
    Midnight on the other hand is half the size of Rosy, and ive had Midnight about 4 months now. She hasn't really grown in that time either, and shes much slimmer than Rosy.
    Does growth compare to age? Perhaps Midnight was or is younger than Rosy?
    I have had the ruler out to measure them, and Midnights about 1.5 inches. I just cant get over how big Rosy is, she was already big when i brought her but she seems to have grown more. She loves food.
    Id post photos of them but you cant tell the size in pics really.

2. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

Growth does compare to age, well in my opinion and my own research at least. my veiltale betta was small then over a period time grew, so its an age thing ??? id think because there little 1st then over TIME they get bigger. age. hmm

also bettas can get 3" long males are larger than females

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is partly an age thng, but there are strains of Betta splendens that are referred to as Giant. Some folks had some massive strains back in the late 60s/early 70s, but they mostly vanished. It is possible the one female has some of those genes that expressed.

4. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Gender doesn't play a part in size. My biggest fish, a female, dwarfs my biggest male. She's around 2 inches with my biggest male around 1.5(not including fins). Genetics and how they were raised play a part in their size as well, bettas with daily water changes and high protein foods tend to grow bigger than others, as they aren't exposed to the growth hormones produced by their siblings as long, and the high protein food encourages growth as well.

5. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Thanks everyone,
    Rosy is bigger in length and body mass than all my males. She really does look like a giant Betta, perhaps she was bred really well and that's the reason for it. I'll take a video of her tonight for you guys :)