Size of livebearing snail babies

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea of the size of a livebearing snail's babies. I bought three Japanese Trapdoor Snails, one of which was much bigger than the others. I also got plants at around the same time. The tank that I put the larger of the snails in now has a much smaller snail, maybe a little bit bigger than the round part of the kind of pins used in sewing. It looks similar, but is so small that I can't tell if it's the same.

bhcaaron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Did it grow? What was it?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunately, I think it ended up getting pulled out during a cleaning, and I missed it. The water bucket had been sitting in my living room for a little bit, and when I tossed the water in the garden, I noticed a bunch of little snail trails of sand on the bottom of the bucket. I haven't seen the little guy since, so I'm guessing he's plant food.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like that was a baby.
They do start out about the size of a head of a pin.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hopefully I'll have a chance to have more of them. One of the Japanese snails is still living in my coldwater tank, and I hope that it will eventually reproduce.

bhcaaron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Coldwater tank? Thats a new one on me. Spill please.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Simple. Just a tank with no heater in it. It has a small koi and a goldfish in it. Since they are happy to have seasonal water temperature changes, they love it.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah, I'm just waiting for a White Cloud/Otocynclus hybrid that likes temp changes so I don't have to scrub the walls of the tank anymore

bhcaaron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sirdarksol said:
Simple. Just a tank with no heater in it. It has a small koi and a goldfish in it. Since they are happy to have seasonal water temperature changes, they love it.
I learned something new. I can rest now. Thanks!

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Dino said:
White cloud mountain minnows are also temperate water fish.

And they stay a LOT smaller than goldfish and koi.
I didn't know that about WC minnows...that's good to know. We get them for feeders for our baby Datnoids...so they could just stay in a filtered bucket or tank. That is very good info thanks.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, this is off topic, but since it's my thread anyway ...
What the heck is a Datnoid?
(yes, I realize I could look it up, but it's more fun and less work to ask)

bhcaaron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sirdarksol said:
I realize I could look it up, but it's more fun and less work to ask
hahahaha I SOOO Agree!

The natural habitat for the Datnoid is fresh and brackish waters in Indonesia and Thailand. Datnoids are sometimes called Tiger fishes, since they display a tiger-like pattern on their bodies. They also have a habit of stalking their prey before they catch it, just like a Tiger does. There are four actual Datnoid species available to the aquarist. In addition to this, a lot of other fish species, such as the Red Datnoid, are called Datnoids and sold as Datnoids without being true Datnoids.

The Datnoid is a popular aquarium fish since it displays a very beautiful and eye catching pattern on its large body. A Datnoid aquarium must be quite large, since the Datnoid can grow larger than two feet (65 centimetres). Most Datnoids will however stay at a more modest length around one foot (32 centimetres). The Datnoid has an expected lifespan of 10 years in captivity. It can become very domesticated and tame, and if you spend some time with your Datnoid when you feed it, the fish will soon begin to recognise you and accept food from your hand. The Datnoid is usually very shy when placed in a new environment, but will grow bolder as it becomes accustomed to its home. A young Datnoid is typically much shyer than older Datnoids, and will often stay hidden for the first few weeks.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Aaron, you're like a star student. Always after learning something new!
bhcaaron said:
I learned something new. I can rest now. Thanks!

bhcaaron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
armadillo said:
Aaron, you're like a star student. Always after learning something new!

ummm... :-\.... actually, i'm after the post count lol ahahhahahah jk, kindof! lol hahahahahah I do like to learn though.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Well your post count is quite healthily picking up, isn't it? Look at you, over 1000 posts!

bhcaaron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've slowed down lately. I've been a bit under the weather. I even had to do a surprise visit to the emergency room today. Turns out my potassium is low... ugh! As if I needed one more thing!

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I had no idea one could lack potassium. Learn something new every day.

I hope you get better, Aaron. No fun to feel tired all the time.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
armadillo said:
I had no idea one could lack potassium. Learn something new every day.

I hope you get better, Aaron. No fun to feel tired all the time.
Not a pleasant condition to have.

Good luck, Aaron, with your potassium.

bhcaaron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. This is the second time its happened in my life. According to the doctor this is normal during different stages in life (in other words I'm getting old :'() lol. However both times it has happened to me seems to be linked to the second reason why: medications. Taking any kind of medication can (understand I said CAN not WILL) affect your potassium levels. Last time, back in 2004 I ended up having to go to a cardiologist who's office staff lost all results! I thought it had to do with stress in my job and life. Had I known this back then I would not have left my job with the state, I like it and, for the area, was being paid very well! ARG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom