Size of grow out tank?

Discussion in 'Oscars' started by Cef, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Cef

CefValued MemberMember

Planning to get juvenile oscars (two). How long does it take them to grow to 5-6" and what size of tank needed until that size. (They will be 1.5-2" upon purchase.) before placing them in a 125+ tank.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You should get the 125+ gal now. Always stock for the tank you have, not the tank you plan on getting (so don't get a tank now that the oscars can't live their entire lives in). Something could happen in the future preventing you from getting the larger tank, and then you're stuck with big fish in a tank that's too small.

3. OP
    OP
    Cef

CefValued MemberMember

Am planning to get the 125 by next month, and two 2" oscars in a 125 seems a bit much. Thinking of getting them a grow out tank for the mean time.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The oscars will grow to fill the tank, don't worry! But I stand by my advice - I wouldn't get the oscars until you have the larger tank they'll live their entire lives in.

5. OP
    OP
    Cef

CefValued MemberMember

Sigh, thats what I thought too. Thank you so much!

6. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

My Oscar grew 1-2 inches per month, for several months. Clean water and good food helps them grow very fast.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice