Size of fry 5 Gallon Tank

1. yllom Initiate Member

I have 4 fry and wonder how long it takes for them to grow. Mine are a couple of months old and still quite small.
    Is there anything special I need to feed them, they are in a tank with 1 other Molly.
    Thank you.

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, fry stay small for quite a while and then seem to all at once grow. If they are alive and eating, they are fine! :)

3. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

Yilom, welcome to FishLore. You've asked my question. I have platies fry that seem to grow so slowly. I started with 4. Two of them did not make it. Tonight I found I think four more. They look so much smaller then their older siblings, I am now worried that the older fry will eat today's babies.

I bought special food for the new born, later I learned that I could have taken a few platy flakes, placed them inside a small plastic bag and rolled over it with a rolling pin or a bottle. The smaller the flake bits, the better. The fry food I bought resembles powder.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I found livebearer fry grew more quickly if left in the main tank, maybe they got more nutrion from the insuforia in an established tank or whether it was the space I don't know.
    As Claireputput says they do seem to stay small for a while then suddenly have a growth spurt

5. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

I have to agree with you. I had four platy fry that I caught and put in a fishnet inside the tank. I saw a fifth one, but could not locate him, I assumed he has been eaten by my gourami. Two of the fries did not make it. So I only had two.

This evening there were four more tiny fries that I caught and placed inside the fishnet AND I found a fifth one. He is twice the size of my first litter. I am so happy he has not become gourami's snack.
    Now I am wondering whether I should have left him be and whether he is going to gobble my newborns.

6. yllom Initiate Member

Thank you for your reply.. My 4 fry are surviving and eating well so I will wait patiently for them to grow. As I only have a golden Molly in the tank with them I think they all have enough room. I do squash flakes for them to eat so assume all is well....Thanks again..