Size of fry 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by yllom, Jul 3, 2014.

1. yllomNew MemberMember

I have 4 fry and wonder how long it takes for them to grow. Mine are a couple of months old and still quite small.
    Is there anything special I need to feed them, they are in a tank with 1 other Molly.
    Thank you.

2. Claire Bear

Claire BearWell Known MemberMember

Hi, fry stay small for quite a while and then seem to all at once grow. If they are alive and eating, they are fine! :)

3. Jomolager

JomolagerWell Known MemberMember

Yilom, welcome to FishLore. You've asked my question. I have platies fry that seem to grow so slowly. I started with 4. Two of them did not make it. Tonight I found I think four more. They look so much smaller then their older siblings, I am now worried that the older fry will eat today's babies.

I bought special food for the new born, later I learned that I could have taken a few platy flakes, placed them inside a small plastic bag and rolled over it with a rolling pin or a bottle. The smaller the flake bits, the better. The fry food I bought resembles powder.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

4. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I found livebearer fry grew more quickly if left in the main tank, maybe they got more nutrion from the insuforia in an established tank or whether it was the space I don't know.
    As Claireputput says they do seem to stay small for a while then suddenly have a growth spurt

5. Jomolager

JomolagerWell Known MemberMember

I have to agree with you. I had four platy fry that I caught and put in a fishnet inside the tank. I saw a fifth one, but could not locate him, I assumed he has been eaten by my gourami. Two of the fries did not make it. So I only had two.

This evening there were four more tiny fries that I caught and placed inside the fishnet AND I found a fifth one. He is twice the size of my first litter. I am so happy he has not become gourami's snack.
    Now I am wondering whether I should have left him be and whether he is going to gobble my newborns.

6. OP
    OP
    y

yllomNew MemberMember

Thank you for your reply.. My 4 fry are surviving and eating well so I will wait patiently for them to grow. As I only have a golden Molly in the tank with them I think they all have enough room. I do squash flakes for them to eat so assume all is well....Thanks again..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice