Sister's Betta Bloated And Floating At Odd Angle - Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Bruxes and Bubbles, Apr 10, 2017.

1. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

My little sister's betta Coral is ill. Does anyone know what is wrong with him? She's really worried. :(

Tank size: 5.5 gallons
    Cycled: Yes
    Water changes: 40% once a week
    Heated: Yes. 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Food: Omega One betta pellets - two in the morning and two at night

Filter: Top Fin Silentstream 10

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 20 or 30

Tankmate: 1 Ramshorn snail

Pineconing: No

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong with him? She got him maybe three months ago and is really attached to him. :( Is there a way to help him? He is still breathing and he moves in short bursts then floats to the top again.

Attached Files:

2. Sushi'skeeper

Sushi'skeeper Valued Member Member

Could you get a picture from the top view, please?

3. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

See if you can give it an Epsom salt bath. I'd hold off on feeding for a few days too, it is very bloated.

4. OP
    OP
    B

There is no top view currently unfortunately - he's floating at that angle and stays there unless he moves. He is not pineconing. I'll try to get a top view when he moves if at all possible, though...

5. Sushi'skeeper

Understandable, poor guy. I agree with @APierce , hold off on feeding for a couple days.

6. OP
    OP
    B

Okay, I'll try to find Epsom salt. We won't feed him either. Just not sure how he got so bloated from a total of four pellets a day! :confused:

7. OP
    OP
    B

Do you guys think a pea will help him? I know it's recommended for constipated goldfish.

8. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

It's actually likely a swim bladder issue and feeding him while he is like that will just make it worse :)

9. Sushi'skeeper

I'm not sure how that is either considering I feed my bettas 5 pellets a day and they've never bloated since I've owned them, maybe it's just to much for him? Just try fasting for a couple days. A pea should be fine, after about 3-4 days of fasting, give him a small chunk of a deshelled, frozen pea, but make sure the pea is thawed out first in the tank water.

10. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Have you tried fasting him and/or feeding him a deshelled pea? It could be bloat. What food does he eat? Also what does his poops look like?

11. OP
    OP
    B

Omega One Betta Buffet pellets - 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. I will try feeding him a pea. No idea what his poops look like currently; he lives in my sister's room. Saw one last week at water change day and it looked like a normal betta poop, though...

12. Sushi'skeeper

Make sure you feed him that pea after he's been fasted for a couple of days.

13. OP
    OP
    B

Will do. We moved the tank to my room so I can watch him. I'll fast him for a week and see if he improves.

14. Sushi'skeeper

I would also recommend that you keep his tank lights off for a few days, as it can lead to more stress.

15. OP
    OP
    B

Definitely will. Thank you for the help!

16. Sushi'skeeper

You are certainly welcome! I hope all goes well for Coral!

17. OP
    OP
    B

Me, too. :(
    It's my sister's first real pet that's her own, and she'll be devastated if she loses him. She cried when she thought her hissing cockroach died (it wasn't dead, and still lives on today in my hisser community, thank goodness).

I reassured her that if he does die to not feel bad as she gave him a very good life and told her she could have her pick of one of mine if he doesn't make it. She loves him very much, though, so I *really* hope he makes it.

18. Sushi'skeeper

With a first pet of your own comes a sense of responsibility. It makes you feel proud in a way. One of my bettas right now is going through a rough patch. She was my first betta, first pet actually! Got her as a tiny baby, and have had her now for 2 1/2 years and man do I love that girl to pieces! I would be so devastated if I lost her, so I understand her feelings. You're a wonderful brother, know that. :)

19. OP
    OP
    B

Aw, yours sounds sweet! I hope she lives for many more years with you!

She got interested in it once I started keeping fish. I taught her all about the nitrogen cycle, we set up her filter together, and she picked her own stuff for the tank...she even made a little care sheet for bettas, bless her.

I'm a tomboy but 100% a girl. (No hard feelings about that, though! I mix up people's genders on here a lot!) :D

20. Sushi'skeeper

Oh my goodness, I didn't even think to look at your name info! Now I feel like a dummy, lol! Deepest apologies! Yes Sushi is very very sweet! Well, you are a wonderful sister, your sister is lucky to have a sister like you! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice