Siquic Cichlid?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by MHansen12, Apr 20, 2017.

1. MHansen12Valued MemberMember

Today I went to one of many LFS near me. I bought some 'Siquic' Cichlids for my 55, but I do not know what they actually are. The way he pronounced it was 'Sequoia' (CE-KOI-UH). He said they were quite rare and even though they look like Convicts they aren't. They are a supposed breeding pair. Could anyone give me some pointers if you know what these fish are?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. AsaflameValued MemberMember

I think I know what youre talking about my book has pictures on a fish similar to convicts just not them. Could u post a picture of them if I know what they look like I can give you a bunch of info probablhy

3. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Siquia cichlids. Amatitlania siquia. Very similar to convicts. Very aggressive. I would only put other fish in with a breeding pair if you weren't very attached to those other fish. Keep an eye after the female after spawning. The male sometimes will kill the female.

4. AsaflameValued MemberMember

hes correct the book says water conditions are similar to a convicts

5. MHansen12Valued MemberMember

I have a pair of green terrors in there as well. They guy said these will hold their own and help divert aggression Between the male and female GT's. I just hope that the green terrors don't die.

6. slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

I have 4 of them in a 55 atm and haven't found them to be aggressive towards other fish. 3 of mine are males and they don't fight and outside of an occasional chase they don't pay much attention to each other.

7. MHansen12Valued MemberMember

I think it's because they were just put in a tank and that they are a breeding pair. I got the female half off because she lost her eye hopefully they calm down.

8. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

It is another species of Convict. If they are identified as A. siquia, they should have had a location name attached, otherwise they're just convicts. I had two pairs of wild caught specimens; One pair was so mild mannered that I almost didn't know they had spawned. The other pair I had to try twice to get the female to accept a mate, but when she finally did, it was a huge spawn and they cared for them fiercely.

This was the male of the nice pair, guarding fry.
    DSC_0048.JPG

This is the female that tried to kill everything until she met a male as crazy as she was.
    Pr2 siquia female02.JPG

9. MHansen12Valued MemberMember

Sorry forgot to mention, they are from Rio Cabayo

10. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

OOooo, that's a good strain. Don't lose the location name, it adds to the value!! Mine were Rio Tempisque, I think. I was sort of ahead of the curve, folks looked at the name, then looked at the fish, and said, "Oh, another convict."

11. MHansen12Valued MemberMember

[​IMG]

I don't know this these are actually Rio Cabayo, just kind of guessed.

12. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

In that case, if you didn't get them labelled as such, do NOT put that name on them. That would be inappropriate.

13. MHansen12Valued MemberMember

Hey my siqioua Cichlids are chasing the green terrors in my 55 gallon and I can notice a very small rip in my green terrors fin. Not drastic but very minimal. Do you know how to minimize their aggression?

14. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Sounds like you got an aggressive pair, you will have to remove either them or the GTs. They are not likely to calm down; in fact, if they spawn, it will get worse.

15. MHansen12Valued MemberMember

Shoot, ok thanks. I'll probably give them like 2 more days before I choose. I really like the GT's because of the coloration, but the Pair is more important because I want to see fry. The female Siqioua is missing 1 of her eyes . Also the GT male harasses the female greatly so I might give them up but I don't know.

16. MHansen12Valued MemberMember

Hey could you recommend any tankmates for these guys? The green terrors are getting beat up and I'm returning them. The tank looks a little bare ATM and I want to get some tankmates for these guys

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice