Siphon - how to get clean water back into tank?

Skrabbitskrabbit

Hey so I’ve been using a siphon/gravel vac (same thing??) for water changes but I don’t have a great way to get the clean replacement water back in the tank. I would like to use the siphon to get it back in (rather than pouring the water in from the bucket or a cup, which stirs things up too much) but that involves me having help, because the bucket of de-chlorinated water has to be lifted up above the tank for the siphon to work... am I missing something? What do y’all do when your tools are a bucket and a siphon?

kattiq

I use the python system and it is hooked up to my bathtub (Can also hook it to the sink.) So all I have to do is turn the nozzle on it and it directs the water into my tank and as it's filling the tank I add in declorinator.
I'm not sure what kind of siphon system you are using though? So it might not have that functionality.

Upvote 0

Skrabbitskrabbit

I use the python system and it is hooked up to my bathtub (Can also hook it to the sink.) So all I have to do is turn the nozzle on it and it directs the water into my tank and as it's filling the tank I add in declorinator.
I'm not sure what kind of siphon system you are using though? So it might not have that functionality.
I just have a basic handheld tube siphon with short 3-4’ hose that you shake to get suction

Upvote 0

kattiq

I just have a basic handheld tube siphon with short 3-4’ hose that you shake to get suction
Ahh okay, well I have used a basic aquarium pump and attached it to the end of a hose and put it in the bucket of water and it pumped out the clean water into the tank.
Something like in this video:

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

What works for me is i bought a 1 gal pitcher for like 80 cents at walmart or something and when i pour the water in i a)pour out the side instead of the spout, widens the pour and helps prevents stray drips and spillage plus spreads it over a bigger area,, and b)slow pour onto like a piece of driftwood or something solid so it doesn't really disturb stuff like the substrate. Just something you could try.

Would love a python, but between kids and cats that would somehow turn into a completely flooded house.

Upvote 0

Skrabbitskrabbit

Ahh okay, well I have used a basic aquarium pump and attached it to the end of a hose and put it in the bucket of water and it pumped out the clean water into the tank.
Something like in this video:
Wow that is a great idea. Some may say genius. I will have to be on the lookout for a cheap extra pump (don’t have a backup right now).

Upvote 0

Skrabbitskrabbit

What works for me is i bought a 1 gal pitcher for like 80 cents at walmart or something and when i pour the water in i a)pour out the side instead of the spout, widens the pour and helps prevents stray drips and spillage plus spreads it over a bigger area,, and b)slow pour onto like a piece of driftwood or something solid so it doesn't really disturb stuff like the substrate. Just something you could try.

Would love a python, but between kids and cats that would somehow turn into a completely flooded house.
Haha yup kids and cat (1) here too lol. The pitcher is a good idea, I could try that for sure.

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

Another good item to have if your pouring your water back into your tank with a bucket is to get a cheap colander/pasta strainer that sits on the top of your tank and it'll dispurse the water as to not disturb anything in the tank.

Upvote 0

Skrabbitskrabbit

Another good item to have if your pouring your water back into your tank with a bucket is to get a cheap colander/pasta strainer that sits on the top of your tank and it'll dispurse the water as to not disturb anything in the tank.
Great tip! That’s brilliant

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

Great tip! That’s brilliant
I can't take full credit for it. I learned that from a member on here a couple years ago and it works perfect on our little 5.5 gallon tanks.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I can't take full credit for it. I learned that from a member on here a couple years ago and it works perfect on our little 5.5 gallon tanks.
Wish i thought of that trick when i still had my 5.5s around. Might have had to buy a new one, as my dedicated collander is all screening and only used for rinsing new gravel.

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

Wish i thought of that trick when i still had my 5.5s around. Might have had to buy a new one, as my dedicated collander is all screening and only used for rinsing new gravel.
i think any size holes in a colander will work as long as its not poured too fast it should work perfect. It has for our 5.5's when we use it.

Upvote 0

kattiq

Wow that is a great idea. Some may say genius. I will have to be on the lookout for a cheap extra pump (don’t have a backup right now).
Yeah I got one off amazon for pretty cheap! I have also used a colander as well and it works fairly well for smaller tanks as well as someone above me mentioned

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Yeah I got one off amazon for pretty cheap! I have also used a colander as well and it works fairly well for smaller tanks as well as someone above me mentioned

In the past I'd put an old ceramic cereal bowl in the bottom of the tank and direct the stream into it. That worked pretty well as long as I was paying attention and didn't miss it, and then of course I'd have to reach in the tank to get it out. Then I bought a hard plastic measuring cup, with a handle that would hook over the side of the tank. I drilled a bunch of holes in the sides of it, and pour the water from the bucket into it. That disperses the stream nicely.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

These are the posts i like. The ones that bring out 50 different ways to do 1 or 2 things

Upvote 0

ForceTen

I purposely stir up the substrate during water changes and during cleaning.
Dirty water and debris is removed and fresh water is added with a 5 gallon bucket.
So for me, pouring water onto the substrate is a good thing.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Brad Pervell
  • Question
Replies
Views
ohhithere
Replies
Views