Siphon/cleaning Question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Olivia Janae, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Olivia JanaeValued MemberMember

I have a 37 gallon tank which I clean once a week. I use a hand siphon and pump it out into a bucket then dump it. Then I use a different bucket, add a bit of API tap water conditioner to the bucket and pour it in. Over and over again.

I'm looking at this product right now that hooks up to the faucet. I'm wondering if anything uses anything like it and if so, what do I do about the water conditioner?

2. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't be able to survive without my python!! Lol

It's worth every penny!!!!!!!

3. BeemanNew MemberMember

You would add water to the tank and then add the conditioner after it is full. Add the amount of conditioner to condition approximately how much you removed. Fish and other living things in the tank can withstand it until treated.

4. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

No!! Do not add the conditioner after the tank has already been refilled. Add the conditioner while it's refilling!! And also you need to treat the entire volume of the tank. Not just the water you've added!!!

5. BeemanNew MemberMember

Hmm never heard of doing it this way, never had any issues doing it as mentioned? How do you know what to properly dose when adding the conditioner while the tank is filling?

6. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I dose for the size of the tank. So if it's a 55, I dose for 55....

7. BeemanNew MemberMember

Oh so as soon as your change the direction of flow on your python and start pumping water into your tank you do one dose for the entire tank size?

8. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Pythons are a back saver! I always add my water conditioner as I'm doing the fill up, not afterwards.

9. blissfulbunnyValued MemberMember

I am not an expert at all. But experienced posters have said that if they are adding the water conditioner to the tank, they add the dose for the entire volume of the tank first, then add the untreated water. Water conditioners work really fast, so the chlorine/chloramine in the added water will be bound and inaccessible right away.

Thus, it is better to add water in the smaller container before adding to the tank, but some choose to treat the tank (dose amount for entire tank) then add untreated water to the tank, since the water conditioner works so quickly.

10. blissfulbunnyValued MemberMember

PYTHON VERSUS POWERHEAD

Faucet>tank -- As I understand it, the python moves water out of the aquarium and new water into the aquarium using the pressure from the faucet. This works for adding untreated water using the python. (I don't know but I think this is what python users are doing). It is possible to go this route if conditioner based on total gallons is added to the aquarium before adding the untreated water. The water conditioners work very quickly, so there is a minimum of exposure to the BB.

Faucet>bucket>aquarium -- If you use a preliminary bucket in order to pre-treat water with conditioner, I don't think the python would help you with getting the treated water into the aquarium. You might as well just use a hose instead of the python to get the water to the bucket. I'm not sure about how the python is used to remove water before the change. I'm just beginning research on this option.

The question for me is whether to go with a python setup or a pump (powerhead) setup.

I think the benefit in favor of the powerhead is it moves water out of the aquarium, then new water up and into the aquarium using an intermediate bucket that can be treated. I believe that the downside is that water must still be moved via hose or bucket to the aquarium area before it is treated and then pumped up into the tank.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  11. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

You could actually use both...I use my python to take water out of all my tanks (brackish, salt and fresh), I only use it to fill up my freshwater and paritally for my brackish tank. I've got the other part to the python hose (i got an extension) hooked up to a power head in a bucket that I use to fill my saltwater and partially my brackish tank. Hopefully I didn't confuse you....but you could also use a pump to take the water out of the aquarium and also to put it back in.

12. blissfulbunnyValued MemberMember

Ya, I think I see what you are saying. Do you have any recommendations as to the powerhead? I just have the one tank, 29 gal tall.

13. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I got a cheap one from amazon that is rated for like 180 gph, it takes awhile, but it does the job. You are going to want one that has detachable parts that a hose is going to fit onto, and maybe more gph if you want things done a little faster :)

14. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I just moved and the first thing I did was have a heart attack because my python can't hook up to the kitchen tap. It's one of those pull out ones. Thankfully it fits to the bathroom tap. I have a 60g and I would have ripped out the shiny faucet to put a new one on if it didn't fit. It is a MUST for any tank I'd say over 30 gallons. Unless your a body builder, then it's just a coupe arm curls with a 5 gallon pail. :D

15. blissfulbunnyValued MemberMember

Okay, this is going to take being a water jockey to a whole new level, LOL.

Hi:) Do you use the Python to drain water from your tanks? Do you have an intermediate bucket for treating replacement water, or do you treat the tank and then add the new water directly with the Python?

16. CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

Having already had one back surgery (and being told by three Drs that I need another), I cannot wait to get off of the bucket brigade and get a Python!!!
    It's my next "equipment" purchase, for sure!!

17. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Just be careful! I got my python and it made things so easy i ended up with 15 tanks LOL its a dangerous tool!!!

18. CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

I have a very effective method against MTS, it's a daily dose of "my husband will poop bricks"

19. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

47 bucks for a python? Where is my bucket at LOL.

20. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I was spoilt. My bathtub that I emptied my tank into was down stairs. Hook the python to the tap, fill it with water(to start the vacume), pinch the line off, run downstairs to stuff it in the tub drain and then run back upstairs. It had one HECK of a suction going on. Then when I filled the tank, just run the end back up stairs to the tap. It took a little to figure out the details (in the sence of draining a 50' hose when I was done without getting water EVERYWHERE ) but is SO worth it. 30g I still used buckets but that was only 2-3 trips with a 5g pail (and while I don't work out :D I do fairly physical work as a job). Once I got my 45 there was no blessed way I was using buckets.

I treat as I'm filling the tank.