Sinking ram

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by MatthewM, Aug 12, 2015.

1. MatthewMValued MemberMember

One if my new blue rams is sinking. Isnt afraid of the net like my other fish, and is breathing faster than normal. The other ram, and all the other fish are fine. I'd post a video but i dont know how. I moved it up to the surface in a jet then let it go, and it just sank down to the bottom and sat. Not fast. But slowly. Has anyone ever seen this?

2. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

Well if it's "sitting" on the ground and not hovering, I would definitely worry. Is it old? That can cause death(surprisingly).....as well as any of the other usually reasons

3. MatthewMValued MemberMember

No its sitting. Its a little darker too. I just got it from petco a week ago. About an inch and a half long

I have it in a net above the airstone so that it as a good flow of oxygen. Since it is breathing fast

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  4. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

I honestly feel like it's dying, and it will be dead soon. But maybe you can still diagnose it? Sorry for being such a downer

5. MatthewMValued MemberMember

Yeah it probably wont be living tomorrow morning. It sucks. Maybe petco just had bad stock? I've read that even good looking rams at petco are usually bad.

6. isacrValued MemberMember

I had two die on me..... :(. You get what you pay for

7. MatthewMValued MemberMember

Yeah they were super cheap

8. isacrValued MemberMember

Mine did the behavior that you described before...

9. MatthewMValued MemberMember

It is dead. Not even two hours later.

10. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I'm sorry for your loss, my ram passed today as well :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. isacrValued MemberMember

How long is a rams life expectancy

12. DrSahlValued MemberMember

Sorry to hear that

3 years or longer if its a good breed I guess. I've read the problem are SEA breeds.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  13. GregMNew MemberMember

Sorry to hear about your Ram.. I have a pair of very healthy looking rams who lived happily for several months and suddenly die within a few days of one another, no obvious reasons, water parameters were fine, just poor genes I guess.

still, sad to lose anyone...

14. ricmccWell Known MemberMember

I think that it is more a matter of Rams being a victim of their own success; at the best of times, they are delicate, and being mass produced to meet the demand has made it very difficult to find good stock.
    It is an identical process to what happens to dog breeds when they achieve great popularity--backyard breeders come in, and worry over genetics goes out. Sorry that you lost your fish, perhaps you could find a good local breeder, or look into other, less popular dwarf S.A. cichlids-there are many good choices. All the best, rick

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  15. GregMNew MemberMember

I agree, after I lost those two rams I never got another pair. I had keyhole cichlids, various apistogramma, cribs and even dwarf gourami's as they tank conditions lent themselves to those breeds, in all honesty I got just as much joy out of the cichlids. Their personalities are all so different and defined and they can be just as attractive when healthy.

16. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Sorry for your loss. :(

17. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

Oh I'm sorry about losing it :(
    Are you going to try again, maybe purchasing from a LFS this time? Big chain stores can sell long lasting, hardy fish, but maybe their stock of rams was just bad.

18. MatthewMValued MemberMember

After some research i have seen a ton that petco has beautiful rams, but are not long lasting. So its not worth it. I still have one that seems alright. Getting a hospital tank today for next time.

19. GregMNew MemberMember

i will most probably give them another go as they were beautiful. once I have my new tank running (whenever that may be) I will start with my dwarf gouramis and maybe after a few months have a look for Rams. If you imagine that you are struggling to find strong breeds in Europe or USA can you imagine the issue we have in Africa ! :;fru

cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice