Sinking Driftwood?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by PheonixKingZ, Apr 19, 2019.

1. PheonixKingZ Well Known Member Member

How......on earth.......do you......sink......DRIFTWOOD!!!!!!

Ok, sorry for that little out-burst, but how on earth do you sink driftwood? Aslo, how to you find driftwood, on the edge of a river/lake, without breaking your bank, spending $20+ on a price of driftwood, at you LFS?:)

2. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

A good chunk of mopani is $8 at PetSmart, price match the online price, and it sinks immediately ;)
    What type of wood do you have?

3. PheonixKingZ Well Known Member Member

Cedar, pine, oak, etc.

4. Quentin Valued Member Member

I’ve got 3 pieces in mine, I boil all of them once a night for a week or two and that gets em to sink eventually

They’re also soaking in water the entire week as well

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  5. PheonixKingZ Well Known Member Member

I was hoping for a Quik sink, is that not possible? I mean, I’ve heard of peopl super gluing rocks to driftwood, and then burying the rock in the sand, so that it gets water logged, while remaining in the tank. Is super glue safe for aquarium use?:)

6. RSababady Well Known Member Member

I boil mine. If necessary tie them down with a rock or two for a month :)

7. Quentin Valued Member Member

Iron wood and Mopani wood sink almost instantly if you’re looking for a quick sink. I’ve never used superglue in a tank but I’ve heard of people drilling holes in a large piece of slate and screwing the wood onto that

8. PheonixKingZ Well Known Member Member

Does anyone know I superglue is safe?:) I wanted to get some Java Fern , to put on the driftwood, it does grow better on driftwood/rocks, than in subtrait, am I right?

9. Repolie Well Known Member Member

Super glue is safe for aquarium. Any glue that is just cyanoacrylate is safe. Many people use it to attach plants on things.

10. PheonixKingZ Well Known Member Member

Good!! I just wondered if the specific brand “Krazy Gule” is safe? How does this sound, maybe get a nice piece if drift wood from outside, after I clean it, super glue it to a rock, and then bury the rock, under the gravel, so that it it looks like it is sunk, but it is actually attached to the rock! Sound good?:)

11. Repolie Well Known Member Member

Most super glues are fine to use if the ingredient is cyanoacrylate.

12. Annie59 Well Known Member Member

I just set a brick on them .I don't know about using pine in an aquarium...I wouldn't. And yes super glue is safe, I use it.

13. PheonixKingZ Well Known Member Member

Nice, I will do that tomorrow!!!:):):)