Single Tiger Barb Not Schooling

Saftron

I have a group of 5 Tiger barbs and they seem to be doing well. However, I’ve noticed that 4 of them school constantly while 1 only schools occasionally. I see him alone more than I see him with them. They’re all relatively the same size but he is one of the two bigger ones (these 2 are only 1-2 cm larger). He isn’t acting lethargic and he eats readily. He’s always exploring the tank checking out the decorations and when he sees the school he either swims back to them or keeps doing what he’s doing. Is this bad in any way? Does he just prefer being alone/doing his own thing?

Kribensis27

It could be perfectly normal. Keep an eye on him, and if he doesn't seem sick in any way, it's probably fine. I would upgrade the school size though. They seem to do better in schools of 8+ for me.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

You won't see true behaviour in group of 5. I used to have 20 tiger bards and they would often break of into groups or singly and explore tank. Once schooling fish are comfortable in tank they don't need to school constantly.

Upvote 0

Broggy

it could be at the bottom of the pecking order. you could shake things up by adding a couple more barbs to the tank.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Before you get anymore of them what size tank is this? And what other inhabitants are in there

Upvote 0

Saftron

They are in a 55 gal tank with a juvenile parrot, juvenile green terror, juvenile EBJD, and juvenile pleco. I know I will have to get a bigger tank later but they're all still small so there's more than enough space. The 3 cichlid's pay no attention to the Barbs and rather quarrel amongst each other. The 4 schooling Barbs ignore the Cichlids except the solo barb; he takes nips every now and then when they're not looking even though he's half the size!

Upvote 0

A201

If the noted Tiger Barb has a red snout, it's a male.
Male Tiger Barbs are often semi solitary, claiming a space or area of their own.

Upvote 0

Chris1212

Same thing happens with my 5 skirt tetras. 4 of them always school while one tends to hang out on his side of the tank and school only periodically. Seems fine to me. Adding two more in a week so we'll see what happens then.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
BVUBeavers
Replies
Views