Single Swordtail In A 20 Long Community Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by the guy, Apr 25, 2017.

1. the guyValued MemberMember

I currently have a heavily planted 20 gallon long that will soon be to the list of 2 dwarf frogs, 4 amano shrimp, 1 sulawesi snail and a akysis vespa catfish. Would a single sword tail be a good addition?

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't add a swordtail with the frogs, and I'd take out the catfish as well. They have very different requirements from the dwarf frogs and won't do well in the environment that the frogs require.

3. the guyValued MemberMember

what's the different requirement?

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The catfish should be in low temps, high flow, highly oxygenated tanks. The dwarf frogs should not be in a high flow tank or the low temps.

5. the guyValued MemberMember

what do you mean low temps?

6. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Temps under 72 F.

7. PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

Akysis vespa – Orange-Banded Hillstream Catfish

They need a low temperature, actually cold water.

8. the guyValued MemberMember

Huh I was sold on that they would do fine in slightly higher temperatures as long as you can keep the tank well oxygenated? I also trust my lfs as he keeps both hillstream tanks and tropical tanks but I'm torn on what to do

Addition: like my lfs will not sell me fish if he knows that my tank parameters are not conducive to good fish health

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  9. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I still wouldn't trust your LFS. They really should not be in higher temps with low flow.

10. the guyValued MemberMember

So while I wait to rehome it what should I look for in stressful behavior?

11. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You probably won't notice anything obvious since they mostly bury themselves in the substrate. But the higher temps and lower flow can stress them, make them more susceptible to diseases, and shorten their lifespan.

12. the guyValued MemberMember

Are there any diseases in particular to be aware of?

13. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I don't know the specific disease of this species, but there are many general ones that could infect him if he's stressed. Stress can make fish susceptible to most every disease they can get. Are you not going to rehome him unless he gets sick?

14. the guyValued MemberMember

I don't know if you're unable to read but I said while I wait to rehome him. I have a friend who has a hillstream tank that I can get him in but it'll take time. Till then I want to make sure he stays healthy.

15. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I am able to read, but the way you're asking makes it sound like you're asking for the consequences if you leave him in this tank.

16. the guyValued MemberMember

Well I need to know? He's been in there for awhile so I'd like him to not die before my friend can take him? Even if I quarantine him now I don't want any long term effects that might transfer on to potentially my friends fish? Get your undies out of a bunch my guy?

17. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

There's no reason to be rude and resort to childish behavior. I was answering the questions that you asked.

18. the guyValued MemberMember

Whilst assuming I might add. This is why people don't talk to people in hobbies. You won't stay off your high horse and be presumptuous about many a thing

19. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I was not trying to be presumptuous or rude. My apologies for assuming - we see a lot of people on this forum that would keep the fish in unsuitable environments to suit their own desires. It came across to me as the same, but now I know it's not. There's not reason to be rude though.

20. the guyValued MemberMember

I accept your apology and I am understanding of your concerns. Despite fish costing next to nothing each death weighs heavy on my heart. I'd like for my fish to be in proper homing and I have many friends capable of helping me out of my situation. I've done this for awhile but there are many things I'm new to. I'd simply like to know as much as possible in order to keep my fish healthy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice