Single salt and pepper cory (dainty cory) lethargic perhaps?

nanofishy9090

Good morning,
I have 6 salt and pepper cories in a 15 gallon tank, one of them has recently been behaving very poorly, barely moving, not eating even if food is right next to him. He appears to have an indent in his stomach? (Picture attached) And frequently lies half or fully upside down. He barely moves if I touch him. Other 5 fish behave normally

Emergency template

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 15 galllon
How long has the tank been running? 6 months since cycle, 5 months since adding fish
Does it have a filter? Yes, EHEIM pickup 200, which is rated for up to 50 gallons, so it is very very overfiltered.
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 24.5C/76F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 6 salt and pepper cories and 20 cherry shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1x a week
How much of the water do you change? 5%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just the water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-30
pH: 7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 5x a week
How much do you feed your fish? Small amount, I make sure not to overfeed
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega, hikari, fluval, I feed a wide variety of shrimp pellets, granules, tablets, insect bites, and algae wafers
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 5 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A week or so
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? behaving very poorly, barely moving, not eating even if food is right next to him. He appears to have an indent in his stomach? And frequently lies half or fully upside down. He barely moves if I touch him..
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Barely movies, doesn't eat for the last 2 days, appearance looks fine other than possible indent.
Other 5 fish behave normally

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Oriongal

My initial guess would be internal parasite, but if you've had the fish for 5 months I'd have expected problems to show up before now. Mycobacteria is possible and can also cause wasting symptoms (sunken belly), but I've never seen a cory with it.

I'd remove it to a quarantine if you can. Unfortunately I think it's probably too far gone, it certainly doesn't look good and you don't want to risk your other fish feeding on it if it dies while you're not around.

nanofishy9090

Oriongal said:
My initial guess would be internal parasite, but if you've had the fish for 5 months I'd have expected problems to show up before now. Mycobacteria is possible and can also cause wasting symptoms (sunken belly), but I've never seen a cory with it.

I'd remove it to a quarantine if you can. Unfortunately I think it's probably too far gone, it certainly doesn't look good and you don't want to risk your other fish feeding on it if it dies while you're not around.
Understood, thank you. And from the picture it definitely looks like a sunken belly?

Thank you very very much!

Oriongal

Hard to say from the pic; but overall it does look thin, and laying on its side is definitely not a good sign.

nanofishy9090

Oriongal said:

Would you recommend a quarantine + paraguard or a salt bath/dip?

For the last 4-5 hours it has been sitting upwards on the sand, barely moving if that changes anything.

Thank you so much again, I haven't lost a fish yet in my 9 months overall of fishkeeping, so I'm willing to try everything to prevent it.

Oriongal

I'm afraid neither one would do much good; whatever is going on seems to be internal.

[Also am going only on the symptoms of lethargy and being thin for it being something internal. If it has other outward symptoms, like fin or barbel erosion, then it could be something else.]

If it's mycobacteria (fish TB) there isn't really a cure; and if it's internal parasites it may need medication that you usually can't run out and get in a pet store, such as levamisole or fenbendazole.

That said, you aren't going to do it any harm with the Paragard; so if you have it on-hand you can try it if you want to. Mainly I'd just get the fish separated from your other fish and out of the tank. Losing one fish is sad, but losing them all would be worse.

As far as I know habrosus are generally wild-caught; and if the fish was already an adult when you got it, there's also no telling how old it is. It could just be an old fish.

nanofishy9090

Oriongal said:
I'm afraid neither one would do much good; whatever is going on seems to be internal.

[Also am going only on the symptoms of lethargy and being thin for it being something internal. If it has other outward symptoms, like fin or barbel erosion, then it could be something else.]

If it's mycobacteria (fish TB) there isn't really a cure; and if it's internal parasites it may need medication that you usually can't run out and get in a pet store, such as levamisole or fenbendazole.

That said, you aren't going to do it any harm with the Paragard; so if you have it on-hand you can try it if you want to. Mainly I'd just get the fish separated from your other fish and out of the tank. Losing one fish is sad, but losing them all would be worse.

As far as I know habrosus are generally wild-caught; and if the fish was already an adult when you got it, there's also no telling how old it is. It could just be an old fish.
Thank you very much for the detailed response. I'll seperate and treat with paraguard. I think these were captive bred, as the lfs said they were 3 months old when I got them (would be 8 months old now).

A sponge filter should be enough for 1 fish, right?

nanofishy9090

Oriongal said:

Sadly he passed away around 1 day after. Paraguard didn't seem to do anything. I've attached two photos of him, does it help you by any chance identify what caused it? The LFS I got him from seems to think it was some kind of internal bacterial infection.

Oriongal

I am sorry.

I don’t know what was wrong with it, all we can ever do is best guess when it wasn't something obvious like ich. I have lost fish that I will never know what was wrong with them as well. It's frustrating, without a doubt.

mattgirl

I am sorry to hear your little guy didn't make it. One thing that really stands out to me in the template is how much water you are/are not changing. I highly recommend you start changing out much more of it each week.

There are more reason for water changes than just lowering the nitrates. Your nitrate level looks good but there are things that build up in our tanks that we don't test for. If 5% wasn't a mistype I have to think those things are getting pretty high and could have possibly led to what happened.

If you have only been changing out 5% of the water during all this time I recommend you gradually start doing steadily increasing water changes until you are up to changing out 50% of the water each week. Shrimp don't handle drastic changes well so I recommend you start out by changing 10% of the water today, the next day change out 15%. Continue increasing the amount by 5% daily until you are up to changing 50%.

Having both corys and shrimp in the same tank adds its own set of problems. Shrimp don't handle water changes as well as corys but water changes have to be done to keep both species safe. When doing them try to replace the water as slowly as possible. I actually use a piece of airline tubing with a control valve turned down to a slow drip to refill my 2.5 gallon shrimp bowl but I am normally only replacing a gallon of water. Maybe you could do yours without the control valve.

Latest threads

Top Bottom