Single rainbow in community

connorMV
Hello everyone,

A couple of months ago I unfortunately lost my 2 GBRs, and I am now looking at new centre piece fish.

I have a 240L 4ft wide tank, stocked with; 7 RN tetras, 5 Corys, 2 BN catfish & 2 amanao shrimp. (Tank is moderately planted with Drift wood)

I was thinking a single Rainbow & a pair of Cockatoos? (Also upping my cory school)

Would this work? Also I'd like any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

JeffK
I think you'll be fine. Assuming RN tetras are rummynose, you could up that school as well. They look great in a group!

connorMV
I think you'll be fine. Assuming RN tetras are rummynose, you could up that school as well. They look great in a group!
They are sorry, yeah I really like them. Say I add the rainbow & 2 Cockatoos. Think I could still up the cory & Tetra schools? Also tempted to add another BN catfish, partner has a thing for them!

JeffK
I know you said 4 ft wide, but what are the dimensions of the tank's footprint? Also, is 240 liters approx 63 gallons?

connorMV
I thought it's around 53 gallons? It's W47" D16" H22" (give or take an inch, that's googles conversation from CM)

JeffK
Yes, you can do a m/f cockatoo pair, a rainbow cichlid, probably 8-10 cories (actually, what type of cories do you have as I think rummies like it around 80 degrees?) and 10-12 rummynose. I'm always on the conservative side, though, so I'll call in a stocking guru TexasDomer who's much better at this than I am.

TexasDomer
Those measurements come out to ~71 gals.

What sexes are your BNs? You'll need to add lots of caves so the BNs and Apistos aren't vying for the same one. If you have a male and female BN, I'd rehome one of them so you're not overrun with fry - the reproduce easily and produce a lot of fry that can quickly overwhelm you and your tank. I definitely wouldn't add a third.

What about something like this?
1x BN pleco
1x Rainbow cichlid
2x Apistos
8x Warm water cory
15x Rummynose tetra
2-5x Pearl gourami

beau
240l is 63 US gal or 53 imperial gallons.

connorMV
240l is 63 US gal or 53 imperial gallons.
If there is one thing to world needs to agree on. It's measurements! Haha

connorMV
Those measurements come out to ~71 gals.

What sexes are your BNs? You'll need to add lots of caves so the BNs and Apistos aren't vying for the same one. If you have a male and female BN, I'd rehome one of them so you're not overrun with fry - the reproduce easily and produce a lot of fry that can quickly overwhelm you and your tank. I definitely wouldn't add a third.

What about something like this?
1x BN pleco
1x Rainbow cichlid
2x Apistos
8x Warm water cory
15x Rummynose tetra
2-5x Pearl gourami
One BN is male, the other is still pretty small and haven't managed to work it out yet.

2 of the Corys are peppered however I am looking to rehome these on Friday and replace with more albino.

I do like the look of that stocking idea. However I'm trying to keep it (kind of) south American. Think I could replace the Gouramis with another pair of Dwarf Cichlid?

TexasDomer
I wouldn't add another bottom dwelling cichlid, no. But you could add an angelfish if you wanted? Or a festivum or two.

connorMV
I wouldn't add another bottom dwelling cichlid, no. But you could add an angelfish if you wanted? Or a festivum or two.
Think I may go for an angel. Thank you all. Can't wait to start on Friday!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
connorMV
Replies
Views
JGombs99
Replies
Views
connorMV
Replies
Views