Question Single Plant Has Algae - What Does It Indicate ?

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a 120 gallon tank setup for approx 2.5 months (picture below). One plant has become covered with algae and I'm not sure what this mean (what is out of balanced). I put in about 6 capful of flourish excel after a 30 gallon water change (once or twice a week) and 4 to 6 squirts of thrive+ after a water change. I also use root tabs - about 6 once a month mostly under swords and jungle val. I'm not sure of the name of this plant so i took a picture - most of the tank has very little algae (I was getting something on the vals near the top but it stopped and went away a while ago). I can't really comment on plant growth rate because I don't know what is bad; normal or good - one of the swords is doing fairly well the others not as good. The nana anubias put out 1 to 3 leaves a month and the aponogeton took off a while ago and is putting out 2 or 3 flower stems - i thought a month - but it just put out two more last night (white flowers) - i think it is a crispus of some sort (the leaves are deeper green then most pictures i see). The swords have a few small holes in the leaves but not sure if this is due to the clowns or lack of micro - there is no dying around the holes. Anyway two pictures - one of the tank and one of the infected plant (i do not add co2 other than excel and i run the tank 80-81 - mostly amazon fishes with a lot of se asia loaches):
The zuc in front is for the clowns and bn pleco (they ran away when i took the picture but will eat the whole thing before night fall); the plant in question is a red plant but you can't tell from the picture - it is next to the wisteria (which is doing well). I think it is nearly dead and will probalby just pull it out next water change:

Attachments

mlash

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I would just pull the affected plants as well. I've messed with stems like this before only to be very frustrated that they wouldn't snap out of it.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 120 gallon tank setup for approx 2.5 months (picture below). One plant has become covered with algae and I'm not sure what this mean (what is out of balanced). I put in about 6 capful of flourish excel after a 30 gallon water change (once or twice a week) and 4 to 6 squirts of thrive+ after a water change. I also use root tabs - about 6 once a month mostly under swords and jungle val. I'm not sure of the name of this plant so i took a picture - most of the tank has very little algae (I was getting something on the vals near the top but it stopped and went away a while ago). I can't really comment on plant growth rate because I don't know what is bad; normal or good - one of the swords is doing fairly well the others not as good. The nana anubias put out 1 to 3 leaves a month and the aponogeton took off a while ago and is putting out 2 or 3 flower stems - i thought a month - but it just put out two more last night (white flowers) - i think it is a crispus of some sort (the leaves are deeper green then most pictures i see). The swords have a few small holes in the leaves but not sure if this is due to the clowns or lack of micro - there is no dying around the holes. Anyway two pictures - one of the tank and one of the infected plant (i do not add co2 other than excel and i run the tank 80-81 - mostly amazon fishes with a lot of se asia loaches):
The zuc in front is for the clowns and bn pleco (they ran away when i took the picture but will eat the whole thing before night fall); the plant in question is a red plant but you can't tell from the picture - it is next to the wisteria (which is doing well). I think it is nearly dead and will probalby just pull it out next water change:
jake...

Algae growth means you have nutrients in the water that aren't being used by plants or fish. Excess nutrients like phosphate and nitrate are a perfect environment for algae.

Old

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
hum seems i made two threads with similar but different content. It turns out that adding a bit of epsom salt helped. One of the plants completely recovered. That one pictured has new growth on the top so i'm waiting to see what happens with it. I guess the holes in my other plant leaves was not due to the clown loaches being bored at night but rather lack of magnesium.

Last edited:

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Algae in a tank like that is odd you are either over feeding, adding too much fertilizer, too much light I don't think anyone on here can give you a valid answer you just need to do testing and find the issue. My guess would be too much fertilizer.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don't quote me but Algae will usually latch on to a slower growing plant. I would cut that plant at the substrate but leave the roots there and just a nub of the stem to see if it bounces back instead of ripping the entire thing out. It's no major loss the tank is still well planted and looks great. I don't know what plant it is but i have something similar that did that and i cut it and then it slowly branched out new growth. Red Ludwigia type possibly

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@kallililly1973 has a good point but if you just want the algae gone you can remove the plant and bleach dip it but it will effect the rooting and growth of the plant then deal with the issue after cut down on those tablets and feeding and do more water changes.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@Jimmie93 Thats the only reason i say trim it close to the substrate cause it more than likely has a decent root system under it.
Yea I agree with you on that but I was just posting a quick/temp fix until he figures out the main issue.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yea I agree with you on that but I was just posting a quick/temp fix until he figures out the main issue.
I agree 100%. Some slow growers i have had did the same thing. I trimmed them very low and they usually bunced back and if they didn't i tossed them and moved on. Without co2 some plants can be stubborn and not adapt to certain water parameters. Unless the OP is using co2 which i'm not sure i remember reading.

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not using co2 and the epsom salt seemed to help a lot so i think it was a micro-nutrient imbalance. If the new top growth stops i'll cut the plant - it is a single stalk. It isn't a ludwigia but i don't remember the name - it has a thick stalk unlike ludwigia; though to be honest I've not had great success with ludwigia. dwarf lily on the other hand is doing really well but i wonder if it is because the bulb and not the tank.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
possibly Rotala. Is it a red plant? It looks similar to something i have in my tanks but cant remember the name either :/

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
possibly Rotala. Is it a red plant? It looks similar to something i have in my tanks but cant remember the name either :/
--
It is suppose to be red but under the algae turned green. Still confused why the tank ran out of magnesium and how to determine if other specific trace nutrients are lacking - the smaller tanks are doing much better but they don't have stem plants - like ludwigia or rotala.
-
Here is one of the 29 that is around 6 weeks old:

('cept for very light algae on the back glass there is virtually no algae - in fact the plants are so dense at the top the fishes find it hard to move when i feed them flakes - normally i feed them pellets for this reason - not to mention that these two rams don't really like flakes)

Attachments

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 16 35.6%

Top Bottom