single or pair stocking suggestions? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by klogue2, Jan 6, 2013.

1. klogue2Valued MemberMember

In case anyone's wondering why I'm figuring out ANOTHER new stock for my 29, it's because I thought my tank was cycled due to an expired test kit, but it's actually not, and I'm rehoming the current fish to finish the cycle fishless. I'm rehoming the current fish to the LFS so it's probable I will not be able to get the same ones back, or I would probably take them back :( In the small chance I can find a temporary home for them I can get my fish back, but if not I'd like to figure out what I'm putting in the tank after it's REALLY done cycling.

I'm thinking I may get a fancy goldfish or two, but I'm unsure. I really like the veiltails but they're so hard to find :p And the ones I did find were $60+!

Other ideas I've considered are:

pair or trio of pearl gouramis, maybe a small school of fish
    some sort of ram, maybe a school or two of fish
    small, mostly peaceful mbuna species-only
    pair of convicts

Any other suggestions, or perhaps you like one of my ideas so far? I'm leaning towards a pair of convicts, though not so sure since they're prolific breeders. My LFS will probably take a lot of fish in at one time, but not the possible 100 babies they could spawn.

2. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

I like the first two options the best :)

Mbuna really need at least 55 gallons, and a breeding pair of convicts might be a bit too much for your tank, as well as the LFSs!

3. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Thanks :) I may be going out on a limb here but what about a single blood parrot? I don't know much about them but I love to learn new things. I'm unsure if they like groups however. I read on one site 29 (or maybe it was 30) gallons is the minimum for one.

Scratch that, did some more looking into it and I've already found the big N-O. Just too small.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  4. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

You're going to pay out the nose for veils. Just get yourself a pair of Fantails :;th

5. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Thanks :) My second pick would have been orandas, since they've got that the faintail look and that cute puffy head!

Edit: I guess I meant to mention in the first post that I was looking for slightly larger fish than your normal centerpiece, such as the orandas which can get pretty big... And then keeping them as the only fish in the tank, other than maybe a school or two of small fish.

I just finished looking at dwarf cockatoo cichlids; would these do well in a species only tank? I read they are prolific breeders but not the best parents. If they would do well, about how many at most would be a good number to keep? It's a close match between orandas and cockatoo cichlids, but the latter is winning haha.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

If you went the Oranda route, I'd only get one. They do get quite large.

7. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Thanks :) I think I'll probably just get an oranda, that's hopefully my final decision lol.

8. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I think the 29 is too small for even one goldfish.

9. klogue2Valued MemberMember

I've always read that 20 gallons is the minimum for fancy goldfish, then 10 gallons each additional fancy

10. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

It'll be ok for a few years. Fancies don't seem to grow as fast as single tails IME. I'd rather see something smaller like Lionheads or celestial eyes in a 29, but a single larger breed will be ok for some time.

Would you put an 8 inch goldfish (or even a 5 inch, which is more common) in a 20 gallon?

11. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Ah I see your point, so the fancy goldfish would not live it's entire life in a 29? I suppose I'll have to go with something else then to be safe. It does make sense now though, that's almost a 1/3 of the tanks length, I bet that'd be a squeeze.

12. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Not one of the larger ones. Ryukins, orandas, telescopes and moors all get pretty huge. There are longer bodied orandas that may be a better fit, but I've not seen one of these fully grown so I can't say for sure. look into the others, though! Look for ones that's stay more around 4 inches in the body.

13. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I agree that a 29 will be fine for a while. But not forever.

We all have to decide for ourselves how much room our fish need to swim. I like to give them more room than the "minimum" because, well, that's all they do. Swim swim swim :)

14. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Thanks for the input! TBH the orandas and veil tails are the only ones I really like enough to want, so I suppose I'll try something else :)

I'm wondering, since I'm so fond of zebra danios, would the 29 be too short in length for their energy? I know they're very active. If it's long enough, maybe I could do a med-large school of them and perhaps find a centerpiece that won't be bothered by their hyper-ness?

15. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

How about a pair of convicts?

16. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Convicts are still an option, although do they have to be a breeding pair? Or can I have two females? I'd rather not be succumbed to so many babies :)

Edit: Also, silly question, did you mean the convicts as the only fish in the tank, or as the centerpiece to danios? I'm pretty sure you meant as the only fish but just checking :)

17. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You could have two females. The females will still go through the whole egg laying process, even if kept by themselves. I think the females are much more interesting to keep.

18. klogue2Valued MemberMember

I see! I think I've got a plan then :D I had been hoping to do convicts from the start!

Would you suggest getting several juvies then raising them to an age they can be sexed, like mbuna, to prevent some aggression?
    Also would the convicts be better kept by themselves, or with a school of fish?

19. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I would get a male and female pair, by starting with 6 juvis, and keep them with a bunch of zebra danios. You could also put a pleco in there. Even though they spawn, they will not all survive. None will survive if you don't want them to - it's very easy to control.

20. klogue2Valued MemberMember

That sounds amazing to be honest, I LOVE zebra danios! lol a little too much.
    How many zebra danios would you suggest, I was thinking 8-10? Or is that too many? Sorry for all the questions :)

The only thing I'm worried about is when they breed, they're suppose to be vicious. I wouldn't want to endanger the danios.