single mystery snail leaving mucus with air bubbles/eeggs? in it

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wondering if this is normal or is he/she trying to lay eggs everywhere?
just wanna prevent an infestation...
thanks guys

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
is it above the water? Can you post a pic?

If it is eggs it would be in what is called a clutch. It looks like this:

If you want to give us more information or pictures we can help identify what is going on

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks kupcake im sorry i never meant too bump it in the last thread my bad..
its more like spit but really bubbly, unfortunately i dont have a camera atm
is that link a picture of frashly laid eggs ? they look a little developed
maybe im just over reacting , i hope so

thanks again kupcake

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are they above the water line? Even if they are eggs you dont have to worry. Once they form and the snail leaves them you can just take them out and dispose of them. They take a couple weeks to hatch so its not like they will hatch immediatly.

Do you only have one snail?
How long have you had your snail(s)?

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes its a single golden mystery snail i got it today at 5:30 pm
this is for the other thread but my cory died ... should i replace him becuase i think 4 is kind of a small group

thanks

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ask your question in your cory thread, it will get the attention for an answer there, leave this one for your snails I dont know anything about corys anyway

Your snail can hold sperm (if it is a female) untill it feels secure enough to lay eggs. I wouldnt think that in 4 hours in a new home it would feel secure, it is probably just cruising and leaving a "snail trail" behind. They do leave a kind of mucus like substance behind.

If it were eggs they would look like the picture, not just bubbles, you would be able to tell.

pinchylarue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
1 more quick question i am sorry to bother you..
i turned off the aquarium light a looked into the tank and saw the snail floating in the shell totally closed up...
is this how the sleep/hibernate?
i just dont wanna experience 2 deaths in one day

cheers
josh

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Snails are really hard to determine if they are dead. I though you only had one snail? If you only had one and it was walking and leaving what you thought were eggs then its fine for sure.

Snails have a 'trap door' and when they close up tight they can have captured air inside their shell causeing them to float. If your snail dies it can not use the muscle to keep the trapdoor closed tightly.

Dont ever throw away a snail you THINK is dead. Leave a questionable snail in your tank for a couple of weeks and only take it out when your sure it hasnt moved and it starts smelling (you will know when it smells dead).

If your water has high ammonia or nitrites, or is uncomfortable for your snail it will stay closed up untill the situation comes under control.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Quoting from our good mod Ken: "Your snail is going parasnailing." Yep, just leave the snail alone, he'll return to normal behaviour in a day or so.

What you call "eggs" seem like excretement or simply mucus, mystery snail eggs are clumps of pink eggs that are laid above the water's surface, as Kupcake said. When you get them, they are almost unmistakable in structure and appearance.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads