Single Missing Fish -- Cause For Concern?

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So one of my nine forktail rainbows (very small, approximately .5-1") has gone missing. I last noticed him hanging out by the top of the tank near the heater a couple days ago, looking listless and uninvolved with the school. I haven't seen him since. I've checked the bottom of the tank as best I can (it's fairly heavily planted) and do not think it's likely he was sucked into the HOB filter as it has a sponge on it. I have a second internal filter running, but my understanding of that design is that a small fish in there would cause a clog or backup, rather than have it lodge inside the filter box while it continues to run.

It's possible my angelfish ate the little one as he was dying or already dead, but if not, do I have any serious cause for concern in terms of an ammonia spike from a single small dead fish decomposing in some hidden corner of a 45g tank? I'll monitor the situation, obviously, but just wondering how much of a potential issue this is.

Note: I see no acute signs of distress at all among the other tankmates. The fish are active, chase me around the tank walls awaiting food, and show no listlessness or skin abnormalities.

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you are concerned about an ammonia spike test every few days in case. The rule with most fish is if it fits in its mouth it will eat it so it is possible angel could eat a small fish. Keep looking I have lost small fish for days then found them alive and well with no idea where they were hiding.

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
I tested the ammonia this morning and it is at .25 (I use the API master kit and have a very hard time getting a true 0 reading with this kit, so I use .25 as a baseline unless I observe abnormal symptoms in the fish). So I'm assuming the fish was eaten by the angels and is not decomposing, or if it is, is not releasing an overbearing amount of ammonia into the tank given its small size.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom