Single Male Swordtail

Discussion in 'Swordtails' started by Schultz0620, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Schultz0620New MemberMember

2. AradesValued MemberMember

You could add one but first i would bring the cories up to 6.

3. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

He won't be the happiest fish - he is a social creature. He'd be more pleased with his life if there were a few females with him. But as long as you have a good filter flow and water the mollies are happy in, he will do okay.

4. Schultz0620New MemberMember

The filter on my tank is a Fluval C4, and the Mollies seem to be healthy and happy from what I can tell. Would it be better to get a pair of Swordtails?

5. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

I've kept a red male Swordtail without females and he had a long life, though he did jump out once and was recovered so watch out for that.

He wasn't in with any other livebearers just tetras, corys etc. and he was a good citizen as well as looking superb. I was not aware of any problems due to him being a singleton. He was one of the smaller slender types with a long sword.

I would want to be sure that he would not try to mate with the Mollies. I don't know but maybe someone can say.

6. DioAquaticsFishlore VIPMember

You can definitely add a single male swordtail to your tank and have him be fine. If you want to deal with fry, you can also add a pair or a trio of them and still be able to up your cory and zebra danio school if you want.

7. Schultz0620New MemberMember

Thanks. :)