Single Male Swordtail

Discussion in 'Swordtails' started by Schultz0620, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Schultz0620

Schultz0620 New Member Member

I have a 36 gallon bowfront with 6 Zebra Danios, 4 Albino Cory Catfish, 1 Dalmation Molly, 1 Gold Panda Molly, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco. My water temperature is kept at 75°. I would like to add a male Swordtail. Would he fit in well with my community? I'm not sure how Swordtails do by themselves.

2. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

You could add one but first i would bring the cories up to 6.

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

He won't be the happiest fish - he is a social creature. He'd be more pleased with his life if there were a few females with him. But as long as you have a good filter flow and water the mollies are happy in, he will do okay.

4. OP
    OP
    Schultz0620

The filter on my tank is a Fluval C4, and the Mollies seem to be healthy and happy from what I can tell. Would it be better to get a pair of Swordtails?

5. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I've kept a red male Swordtail without females and he had a long life, though he did jump out once and was recovered so watch out for that.

He wasn't in with any other livebearers just tetras, corys etc. and he was a good citizen as well as looking superb. I was not aware of any problems due to him being a singleton. He was one of the smaller slender types with a long sword.

I would want to be sure that he would not try to mate with the Mollies. I don't know but maybe someone can say.

6. KingD

KingD Fishlore VIP Member

You can definitely add a single male swordtail to your tank and have him be fine. If you want to deal with fry, you can also add a pair or a trio of them and still be able to up your cory and zebra danio school if you want.

7. OP
    OP
    Schultz0620

Thanks. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice