Single Discus In My 25g

_IceFyre_

I wouldn't do it. Discus need room to swim and are social fish. Personally I wouldn't put a discus in a tank under 40 gallons.
They also aren't temp compatible with your neons or pleco.

samkeirnan

I wouldn't do it. Discus need room to swim and are social fish. Personally I wouldn't put a discus in a tank under 40 gallons.
They also aren't temp compatible with your neons or pleco.

Thanks for the answer, I won't put him in

75g Discus Tank

Also, discus are schooling fish. I would have them in a 55 with at least 5. The discus are not temp compatible with any of the fish. Do you already have the discus? You will need to do some rehiring if you do. Discus are very hard to take care of. The6 are not recommended for the beginner aquarist.

Beranga

Discus are very hard to take care of. The6 are not recommended for the beginner aquarist.

I am very interested on a starting a new 50 gallon (tall) discus tank. Besides the need for very frequent water changes, what makes them so hard to take care of?

I am planning to raise five or six youngsters (2-3") in this tank, and then decide whether to get a larger one or re-home some of the fish. What do you think?

Sorry if this is considered hijacking of the thread, not my intention.

75g Discus Tank

I am very interested on a starting a new 50 gallon (tall) discus tank. Besides the need for very frequent water changes, what makes them so hard to take care of?

I am planning to raise five or six youngsters (2-3") in this tank, and then decide whether to get a larger one or re-home some of the fish. What do you think?

They are very hard to feed, require large water changes, and basically all of them have parasites.

_IceFyre_

Agreed. Also, it's very difficult to leave them alone for almost any length of time due to their water change requirements. If you really like to travel or are not comfortable devoting a large portion of your time to your fish, discus are probably not for you.

fishfanman

I disagree that they are hard to keep. You just have to start with a simple setup and never fail to perform routine WCs. And you can go on vacations without problems. I regularly go on 1 to 2 week vacations without a single death. You just have to follow what discus experts like me tell you.

If you are new to discus, don't try to raise discus from 2 to 3 inch juvies. You WILL fail. You need to start with 4 to 5 inch discus and just enjoy enjoy watching them grow another inch, maybe 2 if the discus have healthy. Never ever buy from LFS. You MUST buy from a dedicated discus importer. Visit them and make sure they are actively eating.

Beranga

They are very hard to feed, require large water changes, and basically all of them have parasites.

I'd read about the WCs and the feeding, but did not know they had parasites. Need to do some more research on that, thanks.

Agreed. Also, it's very difficult to leave them alone for almost any length of time due to their water change requirements. If you really like to travel or are not comfortable devoting a large portion of your time to your fish, discus are probably not for you.

Good point, thank you.

If you are new to discus, don't try to raise discus from 2 to 3 inch juvies. You WILL fail. You need to start with 4 to 5 inch discus and just enjoy enjoy watching them grow another inch, maybe 2 if the discus have healthy. Never ever buy from LFS. You MUST buy from a dedicated discus importer. Visit them and make sure they are actively eating.

Thanks for the advice.

The tank I'd like to use is 16"x32" and 24" high, close to 55 gallon. Would it be adequate for three or four larger discus?

fishfanman

That tank is a bit small for the min number of discus you should have. I'd get a 75 gallon. You'll need driftwood to create different areas where some discus in the group can hang out if everyone doesn't get along. So a 75 will allow you to provide this. Also, they are not schooling fish. They are shoaling fish. And they all don't have parasites. As I said, get them from a reputable discus importer which will drastically reduce the risk of getting sick or infested discus. Once you get them home you MUST prevent cross contamination with your other tank(s). Lots more to suggest to you but I've gotta go!

Beranga

That tank is a bit small for the min number of discus you should have. I'd get a 75 gallon. You'll need driftwood to create different areas where some discus in the group can hang out if everyone doesn't get along. So a 75 will allow you to provide this.

Very clear.

The 55 is a tank/stand combo I already have, but if it is too small for discus I'll have to look into some other species.

Thanks again.

75g Discus Tank

Very clear.

The 55 is a tank/stand combo I already have, but if it is too small for discus I'll have to look into some other species.

Thanks again.
A bare 55 with minimum decorations is enough for 5 discus.

Disc61

This is such a misleading and FALSE statement. not even close to being correct.
A healthy Discus is one of the easiest fish I have ever had when it comes to Feeding.. EVERY Discus I have owned (over 100) have eaten out of my hands.
yes they do require extra maintenance, read the sticky titled "massive water changes"
Parasites?? EVERY fish has parasites. it is the fishes immune system that keeps them in tact. a Healthy Discus with prestine conditions easily fights off these parasites. the introduction of new Discus, especially from other sources is when the parasites become an issue. sticking with one source and quality sources is the key.
just sayin, Healthy Discus are one of the easiest fish to feed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

2 3
Replies
Views
Bizarro252
Replies
Views
jake37
  • Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit