Single Convict Cichlid

FindaFishaHome

What’s the best way to re-home a single Convict? He’s been living alone for awhile which doesn’t seem good and I worry about finding folks “out there” who will take proper care and not mix with the wrong types of fish. I’m overly concerned and under educated about their socialization needs

babyfish

FindaFishaHome said:
What’s the best way to re-home a single Convict? He’s been living alone for awhile which doesn’t seem good and I worry about finding folks “out there” who will take proper care and not mix with the wrong types of fish. I’m overly concerned and under educated about their socialization needs
You could give him to a friend, or try breeding him. I am pretty sure its ok to keep a single convict.

FindaFishaHome

babyfish said:
You could give him to a friend, or try breeding him. I am pretty sure its ok to keep a single convict.
Thank you!

BigBeardDaHuZi

Who else is in his tank? How big is the tank?

There are some fish - like corydoras, loaches and tetras - that need a social group to thrive in. They are schooling fish. They get stressed when they are alone. Cichlids are not really one of those species.
I can think of a few that do well in a small group (discus come to mind), and many of them will do well as a bonded pair, but most cichlids do just fine by themselves. They are not like people. They don't get lonely. Convict cichlids thrive just fine by themselves.
Unless it is a mated pair, multiple convicts in a tank will probably lead to a lot of fighting. And if it is a mated pair, they will get hyper aggressive to the other fish in the tank when they are breeding.

All of that being said, it is still ok to re-home the little guy if you are wanting to. Just don't worry that you have to.

PitConvict

FindaFishaHome said:
Why not just get a 2nd tank? A trusted Fishstore return may be your best bet.

Latest threads

Top Bottom