Single Bleeding Heart Tetra

DaScotty

Hi,

I've had a successful 75 gallon for many years, although out of the 20 or so Bleeding Heart tetras that were in the 75 gallon for close to 4-5 years, they've all mostly passed from old age. Since I've been re-purposing and stocking the 75g, the tetra is in a 29 gallon with 6 Rosy Barbs and 5 other Barbs (I forget the type). It pretty much stays out of the way but doesn't seem too happy in that setup. I know they prefer groups of at least 6, but I am not planning to stock Bleeding Hearts anymore so purchasing more of them isn't in the plan.

If I move it out of the 29g, my options are back in the 75 gallon which has a dozen Buenos Aires tetras, or alone in a 10 gallon which is pretty much just used to grow plants. It'd be the only fish in there.

I'd love advice on what to do with this fish, and which option you think might be the best.

Thank you in advance,
Scott

A201

Given all three possibilities, I think the lone aging Bleeding Heart Tetra would probably do well in your planted 10 gallon tank.

jaderivf

I agree. peaceful, nothing and no one to worry about, lots of hiding places. that, or see if anyone in your area could adopt it for their own shoal.

DaScotty

Thank you for the input. I think putting it in the 10 gallon will be the best bet. I guess we can call it a retirement home!!

Thank you,
-Scott

DaScotty

Well, I moved this fish to the 10 gallon about 3 weeks Sadly, it must have passed away in the past day or so. I had cycled the 10 gallon with extra media from my 75g, all the parameters were good (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate), tested w/ the API kit. The fish mostly hid behind plants/wood/rocks in the tank though. It wasn't ever eating though, I'd put a flake in there but it never even tried to go for it. I did get about 4+ years out of these tetras so.. I'd go with old age (and maybe being alone, since it is a shoaling fish) was the cause.
Thanks for the advice before.
-Scott

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom