Single African Butterfly in a 20 Gallon Tall?

Lucyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I recently picked up a African Butterfly fish for the first time ever, it's currently in QT and my plan was to put it in my 55. I misunderstood the flow they prefer, I thought they like high intentionally instead of low, and my 55 as surface agitation across the whole thing so I can juice as much oxygen I can. It also has zero floating plants, which is definitely something I could fix easily if I do decide to put him in there. My first ever Betta died, he was a year old when I got him and I've just reached the three year point of owning him for a total of 4 years old and he sadly passed. And yes, I did have a Betta all by itself in a 20g, he was very spoiled. I got a Dwarf GouramI recently and not another Betta because I didn't feel like I was replacing him, and I thought, Gourami's, Betta's AND African Butterfly fish love the same exact setups. Low flow and lots of floating plants, and I thought that would be the perfect tank setup for him, but the size. I heard you shouldn't keep them in any less than a 30 gallon, I understand the whole surface area goes from 24 to 36 inches, but I also noticed that they don't really move anywhere, they kinda just sit in one space and chill. The lack of movement is also why I think it'd be alright, but I'd maybe like some personal experience with it or advise? I've never kept them before but always wanted to. Here's a picture of the tank, IMO I think it'd be amazing, I wanted two fish in the tank an I named the GouramI Wallace (he's had a very nice temperament from what I've seen but can always move stuff around if it doesn't work), and whatever else I decide to put in there being Gromit from one of my favorite cartoons as a kid. And don't mind the colored rocks, I've tried to pick out as many as I could but I swear new ones pop up everyday :facepalm:

Attachments

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I don't think a gouramI and the ABF would be a good mix? ABF are ambush predators and the gouramI could attack the ABF's long fins IMO. But someone else may contradict me

OP
Lucyn

Lucyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FinalFins said:
I don't think a gouramI and the ABF would be a good mix? ABF are ambush predators and the gouramI could attack the ABF's long fins IMO. But someone else may contradict me
I thought that, but where I got the GouramI was actually held with a group of African Butterflies for a few weeks, the person who worked there said they haven't noticed any problems. Like I said, I can always move the ABF if it doesn't work out. Now, if it was a normal GouramI I would be a lot more concerned.

New Threads