Singing the praises of prazi pro

FranM

To try to make a long story short, added three yo yo loaches into aquarium. I don't quarantine, just hope for the best by maintaining best water quality possible. Within days of adding yoyos, clown loaches were flashing and ich became apparent on silver dollars. One of my original clowns had skinny disease several years back and its health was restored with medicated food. So besides dealing with ich, over the course of the treatment with Rid Ich Plus (which worked well), the clown was getting skinnier though eating, and very lethargic except during feelings. Began the fish on shelled frozen cooked peas with fresh garlic in hopes that the garlic would ward off internal worms or parasites. That wasn't enough so I ordered another medicated food with an active ingredient of flubendazole (which is said to be an alternative to levamisole). Though the clown was eating with gusto, it was still unable to gain weight after several days of feeding. So I began more Internet research to find out what to use for skinny disease and I decided on PrazI Pro which I was considering a last resort. Within hours of treatment, the clown was becoming incredibly active. I thought it was a "fluke" that its behavior changed so rapidly. The next day I decided to drop the medicated food and stuff the clown with brine shrimp and bloodworms along with the peas. Within two days of this regimen the clown has noticeably put on weight! I'm thrilled!! And it has been behaving the way a clown should behave--active and playful. I'm leaving medication in for the full seven days of treatment, but am undecided if I should run a second course. This is my next focus of research.

So so I must've been dealing with a case of flukes or parasites that was obviously not responding to medicated food. Very thankful for the effectiveness of the praziquantel med.

Jomolager

Welcome to Fishlore. Sorry you had to go through all those issuess and I am glad you figured out how to deal with them.

I would not know where to start and what meds or medicated food to get. Knock on wood, I don't get much illness in my tanks.I do regular large WCs in all my tanks and I always QT for 4-6 weeks.

QT is important not only because of possibility that the fish I buy has a disease, but because it can get a disease when introduced to a new community, new water parameters, new food, new dechlorinator, new everything else. It is easier for fish, stressed out by travel in a plastic bag, to come into grips with their new environment in the privacy of their own tank.

Good luck to you

Cichlidnut

I treat all my new arrivals with PraziPro in QT before they join the general population.

Jomolager

I treat all my new arrivals with PraziPro in QT before they join the general population.

Me too.

CindiL

I would definitely recommend doing 4 rounds, a week apart.

Rivieraneo

Fran, are you using the granular, liquid, or medicated food form of praziquantel?

CindiL

I just treated my whole tank myself. It's something I like to every six months or so, just a round. But I also have a very skinny fish who as been lethargic and clamped up for a couple of weeks. This Platy had some fry a couple weeks back and I think it weakened her immune system. What I like the most about PrazI is it's very gentle yet effective.

Jomolager

Fran, are you using the granular, liquid, or medicated food form of praziquantel?
FranM, I am waiting for your response to Riv too. also where do you buy it, some Praziquantels are quite pricey.

CindiL

I'm sure she'll respond back but as far as I know, PrazI Pro is only in the liquid pre-mixed as I use it too.

Jomolager

I'm sure she'll respond back but as far as I know, PrazI Pro is only in the liquid pre-mixed as I use it too.

Unless I am mistaken, isn't this our own jettajockey?

Powder:

CindiL

PrazI Pro vs praziquantel

Here is prazI pro:

Forgive my ignorance but what is a jettajockey? ha ha

Anders247

jetajockey.
His forum is here:

Jomolager

PrazI Pro vs praziquantel

From what I understand, it is the same medicine in different forms. PrazI Pro is is a brand name of PrazI sold in liquid form.

I used the PrazI powder once, it is more effective in some cases, but it takes hours to dissolve it in hot water. It is easier to dissolve it in a bit of Vodka.

As to jettajockey, he is one of the most knowledgeable members of this forum who takes the time to help out those of us who need help.

CindiL

Oh yes, I understand it is in dry forms also. My point was that the actual name of PraziPro is only in a pre-mixed liquid form that comes in a bottle.

Jomolager

Good point. Unfortunately, moi included, many of us are not always as precise as we should be.

FranM

Wow, so many replies and input. I used the HikarI liquid PrazI Pro. The lfs I went to was out of it so he sold me two doses. In the meantime I'm purchasing my own. So someone mentioned I should let a week go by and treat again. I think I read that somewhere else too on the Internet. The clown is still doing wonderfully. He still has a way to go to put all the weight back on but at least it's improving steadily.

I should also add that I've been feeding medicated food in addition to regular food. I feed metronidazole flakes from a site called Angels Plus and fenbenzadole flakes from Peabody's. I don't know if I'm doing a safe thing mixing food meds. I'm still not sure if I'm dealing with internal parasites or flukes. But I do know the medicated food alone wasn't doing a thing.

Rivieraneo

Follow the instructions on the bottle. I usually do two treatments in one week, add prazI day one, wait three days, do a water change and add a second dose and wait three more days. This has been effective for me.

FranM

VIDEO!!

It was too difficult to get clear pics so I decided to video instead. I wanted you to be sure to see that skinny in this case didn't mean a sunken belly. The thinnest area is the top of the back--above the lateral line. If someone has experience with this please advise. Thanks.
Jomolager @ jetajockey

Jettajockey, you are affiliated with Peabody's, someone said? If so please advise if I should be feeding medicated food with mterodizanole and fenbendazole at the same time. I bought the fen from Peabody's. Already had the metro.

FranM

Well, it's May 3rd. Unfortunately those people who were trying to help me and asked me for clarification, never responded to me. But for the aid to others with a similar problem to mine, I'd like to conclude the issue. On another forum a member surmised the Prazipro was the sole reason the clown loach responded so well.

I had fed mterodizanole because I felt the fenbendazole wasn't helping. The clown did seem to be gaining weight while eating the metro flakes, but the member felt the medicated flakes weren't the reason, rather than the Prazipro, and continue to fatten him back up with regular foods. So I began regular food on 4/27. The fish is almost back to a healthy size. He has certainly gained back much of the lost weight and the energy and behavior is and has been back to normal. I'm thrilled.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SarahPar
Replies
Views
Z123Killer
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views