Simplest Tank Setup For A Newbie?!

danelch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. As you'd have known by now that I'm a newbie who's had experience in the freshwater field BUT ABSOLUTELY NONE in the saltwater type :/

Anyway my LFS has recently brought these clownfish that I've totally fallen in love with <3 i want em so bad but 1)idk a lot about setting up a saltwater tank
2) i don't have a lot of cash these days cuz I've been and still am spending tons of it on my freshwater tanks and whatnot

Now i intend to make a clownfish tank as simple as possible.

My question is :
What equipment (minimum) do I need to buy to do that(keep a healthy pair of clownfish)??
I want the tank to be something like these breeder tanks in the link below. (I'd love to breed them too like in the link, if you guys think i could pull it off considering that i don't have a lot of knowledge atm)

Your answers and guidance would mean a lot! Thanks in advance. Cheers

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Honestly for me the word minimum and salt water dont go together. Considering the prices of equipment and livestock id much rather tank longer to save more money to buy better equipment later on down the track.

That said i think the only extra piece of equipment you definitely need compared to a fs tank is a skimmer.

danelch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Honestly for me the word minimum and salt water dont go together. Considering the prices of equipment and livestock id much rather tank longer to save more money to buy better equipment later on down the track.

That said i think the only extra piece of equipment you definitely need compared to a fs tank is a skimmer.
So umm live rock and/or sand aren't a compulsion in a tank which i intend to keep only fish in?

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A skimmer is not absolutely required i was in your shoes not long back was dying to do q sw i did it and have a pair of clowns all i started off with is this
Tank
Live rock
Live sand
Wave maker
Heater
Hob filter (optional i have for mechanical filtration).
Refractometer - ABSOLUTE MUST
Api saltwater master test kit
you tube and google.

My best tip keeping it short and sweet would be to purchase the live rock 2nd hand nice and mature off someone on the day you fill your aquarium.
0e243afb72f6a45ea7d624ec573efc57.jpg
d7aa663c4192845d74aed050cfaae907.jpg
thats day 1 and about 3 days ago

Attachments

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So umm live rock and/or sand aren't a compulsion in a tank which i intend to keep only fish in?
Live Sand and live rock are your filters in a sw tank. i meant extra mechenical equipment. You will also needs lights , and test kits and other stuff that will be different from the freshwater versions.

danelch

Valued Member
Reaction score
A skimmer is not absolutely required i was in your shoes not long back was dying to do q sw i did it and have a pair of clowns all i started off with is this
Tank
Live rock
Live sand
Wave maker
Heater
Hob filter (optional i have for mechanical filtration).
Refractometer - ABSOLUTE MUST
Api saltwater master test kit
you tube and google.

My best tip keeping it short and sweet would be to purchase the live rock 2nd hand nice and mature off someone on the day you fill your aquarium.
View attachment 306336View attachment 306337thats day 1 and about 3 days ago
Tysm!!!
Your answer has helped me with so many questions! However, there's still a couple of things i needed to ask:

1)in place of both the wave maker and the hob, could i not simply use an internal filter ? It would make waves and do biological + mechanical filtration at the same time. No ?

2) if live sand and live rock is a sw tank's filtration, do you not need to vacuum or syphon the waste off the sand?

3)what's the deal with water changes in sw tanks? I mean isn't aquarium salt expensive? Would i need to dissolve more every time i change the water?

4) would i need special lights for the live sand and live rocks?

Btw, your tank's pretty sweet!! mind if i ask how much water it holds ?

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
1) i would say yes it is possible if you got one big enough for the job that held enough media but i wouldn't personally do it, but if thats what you really want to do just do alot of research.
2) in my opinion the live sand does not really have alot to do with your filtration it just contained the stuff for my enitial start up and is a home for pods and stuff and somwhere for your critters to graze and forage and for certain fish.+ it looks good.
3) The water, for my initial fill i used salt water from my lfs it cost me about £7 to fill it right up because the shop does it cheap for inital fill ups.,and my tank is 60 litres. The salt price varies personally i buy the red sea coral pro which is £22 a bucket which makes over 200litres and i get 25 litres of RO water from my lfs which costs me £2 for 25ltr i may one day buy an RO UNIT as its cheaper in the long run but for now am happy doing what i am doing. I do around a 20 maybe 25% water change every 8 to 10 days my amonia nitrite and nitrate have never read anything higher than 0,0,20 since its been cycled its amazing i dont know what im doing right as i am quite the amateur.
4) lighting is up to you if you want a £15 led light which looks the part but is cheap have it, i had a 6 watt led nicrew thing for a bit and it was fine my first £10 button polyp frag was even thriving and spreading under it, ive since upgraded to an arcadia grow but im chatting sht and getting carried away lol in short no you dont need no special lighting depending on what you want to keep in there. From me to you all that it seems you will need is water, a filter and a tank and ritual water changes have a bare bottom if you like. Clowns do love flow though and you can get really cheap power heads which are good. YOUTUBE AND GOOGLE ARE KEY.. lol

One vital thing i missed lol i should have put LID next to tank as one of my clowns did a superman through a tiny gap in my lid which i did a diy there and then to prevent it happening again
21610f484ebd8c3069e00ddc4e6a47d4.jpg
pic if said gaps covered with special plastic aka(disposable food container)

Little Tank of Happiness

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't own a sw tank, nor have I done tons of research, but I do know a little. Don't quote me haha
1. An easy tank to keep is a 30 gal with 2 clowns. I believe they like to be together. With that you could also keep some cleaner shrimp and maybe (not certain) a goby. Don't know any specific types.
2. You do not have to have anemones for clowns. Anemones are advanced level and your tank has to be established for 1 yr +. Clowns will host in corals. Just like you said you don't need a skimmer you don't need anemones.
3. It's said FL fw profiles are incorrect, but a bit ago I and a few members came to the conclusion that maybe Mike only keeps salt. If you look at the sw profiles they're very nice. Fw are for the most part incorrect. So IMO you can use the sw profiles as a resource just use others too to check it up.
4. Don't get extremely expensive stuff. Sw can be over priced and its not worth it! Research the prices to avoid wasting money.

Hope you enjoy the saltwater exp!

danelch

Valued Member
Reaction score
1) i would say yes it is possible if you got one big enough for the job that held enough media but i wouldn't personally do it, but if thats what you really want to do just do alot of research.
2) in my opinion the live sand does not really have alot to do with your filtration it just contained the stuff for my enitial start up and is a home for pods and stuff and somwhere for your critters to graze and forage and for certain fish.+ it looks good.
3) The water, for my initial fill i used salt water from my lfs it cost me about £7 to fill it right up because the shop does it cheap for inital fill ups.,and my tank is 60 litres. The salt price varies personally i buy the red sea coral pro which is £22 a bucket which makes over 200litres and i get 25 litres of RO water from my lfs which costs me £2 for 25ltr i may one day buy an RO UNIT as its cheaper in the long run but for now am happy doing what i am doing. I do around a 20 maybe 25% water change every 8 to 10 days my amonia nitrite and nitrate have never read anything higher than 0,0,20 since its been cycled its amazing i dont know what im doing right as i am quite the amateur.
4) lighting is up to you if you want a £15 led light which looks the part but is cheap have it, i had a 6 watt led nicrew thing for a bit and it was fine my first £10 button polyp frag was even thriving and spreading under it, ive since upgraded to an arcadia grow but im chatting sht and getting carried away lol in short no you dont need no special lighting depending on what you want to keep in there. From me to you all that it seems you will need is water, a filter and a tank and ritual water changes have a bare bottom if you like. Clowns do love flow though and you can get really cheap power heads which are good. YOUTUBE AND GOOGLE ARE KEY.. lol

One vital thing i missed lol i should have put LID next to tank as one of my clowns did a superman through a tiny gap in my lid which i did a diy there and then to prevent it happening again View attachment 306482 pic if said gaps covered with special plastic aka(disposable food container)
I'm thinking a bare bottom tank with live rocks.. no special lighting is required for those right?

ReefDudes

Reaction score
I would personally go with an all in one tank

But you can get away with a tank, light and a power head as the minimum then just do weekly water changes

Skimmers and other equipment will help reduce the. Red for water changes

danelch

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would personally go with an all in one tank

But you can get away with a tank, light and a power head as the minimum then just do weekly water changes

Skimmers and other equipment will help reduce the. Red for water changes
What if i added a HOB and live rock to the tank. Would that significantly reduce the number if water changes I'd need? Cuz that's my main aim tbh... if yes, then by how much ?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom