Simple, Easy, Kinda Cheap To Do

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by shiv234, Aug 3, 2017.

1. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

Want to do my first planted aquarium but its a 15 gallon (2'x1'x1')(long). If you guys have planted aquarium that are easy and sort of cheap(doesn't have to be but want it to be as its my first). So basically can i get some ideas. I have a canister of CO2 that i have. Any DIY soil i can make as i don't find aquarium soil where it live. Would soil with manure work or would it throw off my parameters after a while.

Would like some carpet plants and some tall ones to hide the back of the aquarium and may be a side to. What would be a good stocking to add to this. May be 1 male betta and some RCS, or some other colourful fishes ( no livebearers, not even males).

2. 13fishy wishes

13fishy wishes Valued Member Member

I want to know too !

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

If you have a canister of CO2, That's above my pay grade. Good luck!

4. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

If you want to go inexpensive and practical that co2 canister will never go to use. The cost of the equipment you need to get that co2 to your aquarium in a safe, regulated fashion is where it starts to cost lots of money. I'd recommend getting some seachem comprehensive for a basic fertilizer, a bag of caribsea eco-complete, a cheap fluval light with high brightness and white/blue LEDs, and a DIY CO2 setup using the materials and instructions you can find here: Diy Co2 Injection. You can skip the CO2 and substrate if you need to, but you would have to get fertilizer tabs in place of the substrate, and if you want a heavily planted tank a liquid carbon source.

5. OP
    OP
    shiv234

i have the regulator and stuff for the canister though. i checked it already and it ran in the 15g for a day so i knew it was safe. Can sand handle carpet plants like dwarf hairgrass. So if i use CO2 and substrate, would i still need fertilisers

6. DylanM

dwarf hair grass should be able to grow in sand, but you would need root tabs spread across the carpet area to give them the nutrients they need.

7. OP
    OP
    shiv234

so what about regular soil( no chemicals in it) and liquid fertilizers since there aren't any root tabs where i live and i don't want to buy things on amazon at this time as it would basically cost double since rowley(prime Minister) added all sorts of taxes to shipments

8. DylanM

Regular potting soil should fertilize fine as far as I know, if you want sand though you can make homemade root tabs by using osmocote +.

9. OP
    OP
    shiv234

but what about liquid fertilizers. Would they work to. I saw what i believe was a seechem one

10. DylanM

Liquid ferts, like seachem comprehensive, will work fine fertilizing any plants that aren't substrate planted root feeders like hair grass.

11. OP
    OP
    shiv234

so it won't work for dwarf hairgrass

12. DylanM

A little might be absorbed, but It won't work as well as dirt, planted substrate, or root tabs.

13. OP
    OP
    shiv234

ok
    thanks. What should i stock it with

14. DylanM

There are literaly hundreds of fish that can be bought and can go in a 15 gallon tank, could you be more specific? XD

15. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

If you are going to use the co2 you will need a balance of light, fertilizer, and the co2.
    Going cheap on any one of the three will lead to algae trouble. With co2 I would recommend a comprehensive fertilizer like NilocG thrive. Many people use dry fertilizer whether it be ei dosing or pps-pro ferts. Ei you dose unlimited ferts and do a large water change at the end of the week. Pps-pro you dose the amount plants will need daily or every other day.

Google NilocG they have dry fertilizer if both kinds also. With seachem's line you would need 3-4 different products to get the same amount of fertilizer as theirs contain very little macros (npk) and you have to add those seperatly.

Could do a low tech tank without the co2 cheaply without many ferts and low light.

16. OP
    OP
    shiv234

colourful and active with lots of personalities..would 6 cories be able to fit there with any top dweller or 1 betta and some bottom dwellers

w
    during the day my my room window opens until i come and close so it would get sunlight for 8 -10 hrs and i have soil with manure so i was hoping no ferts and i'll either use the canister of co2 or do a diy one if it would be better

read the thread thing..it has what kind i am looking for

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
  17. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

I'd look into a school of chili rasboras or Celestial Pearl Danio. I don't think 15 gallons is big enough for cories? Maybe pygmies?

Sunlight is going to give you an algae farm, you really need light you can control. And any soil you use will need to be organic or mineralized to be safe for fish, and then capped with sand. Google 'dirted tanks' to find out how to set them up.

18. OP
    OP
    shiv234

ok
    thanks

19. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Do your research on planted tanks, you need controlable lights and ferts, especially with co2. Light from windows and manure will lead to an algae farm. High tech planted tanks (co2) are very rewarding but require a high amount of work, knowledge and are not cheap.

As I said before a low tech planted tank with no ferts and pool filter sand could be better for you. Would be very inexpensive and allow you to learn about a planted tank before adding the co2 after you have gained experience.

@ashenwelt is very good with planted tanks also, maybe he can explain and help you out.

20. OP
    OP
    shiv234

so if i decide to go low tech how would the plants grow if there is no co2 as i want fish after it is fully grown in and not partially

can you guys check if this is ok to follow

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice