Similar BioSpira product

Red wag platy
I know a product similar to Biospira has come out. Can someone tell me the name of this product?

Shawnie
safe start...do a search on it and some ppl have tried it with success and some haven't had great success ...goodluck!

EDIT: heres a link

angelfish220
If I understand correctly, Safe Start IS biospira, at least the same bacteria but kept so it can be stored at room temp.

tzqng8
Both posts are correct as I understand it. Same thing as BIO-Spira, just re-formulated to be kept in a spore state.

It was still hard for me to find, though. But, I do know of a place it can be mail ordered from if needed.

angelfish220
I think that it is commonly avalible in England but not here in the states

Shawnie
its available here in the states also...just some aren't having luck with it just yet...Ima gonna wait a bit longer before I trust it ...just keep some sponges in your existing tanks for emergency's

tzqng8
That seems to be the trend. I at least found a place that stocked it in my state! They ship anywhere in the U.S. though, it seems.

Butterfly
Heres a thread from the Tetra forum. there's some comments by Tetra admin that are interesting and will explain a few things

Carol

NeonTetra
If you live in the USA here a link to order Tetra SafeStart. I'm thinking about ordering some

Shawnie
I'm wondering if its safe to start using without it being tested a bit more?

tzqng8
Based on experience, I'd just say be sure to have a back up plan ready to go. Some filter media from an established tank, some gravel from a friend's healthy tank, etc. I lost several fish recently because the SafeStart did not work as advertised.

Not saying everyone will have that experience, but be aware.

COBettaCouple
I want to wait & see how it works. Although, I think our system of stuffing filters full of sponges is working for our MTS.

Shawnie
I so agree CBC...I'm sticking with sponges also..that's the same company that has a product that says no water changes needed for 6 months....I'm allset with that LOL

Coffey5030
What are sponges?

angelfish220
basically they are just making bacterial coloneys on a filter media (they are useing sponges) so that when they start a new tank they have bacteria ready to cycle the new tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ZeroSum
Replies
Views
Evelyn1919
Replies
Views
DrTim
Replies
Views