Silvertip tetra

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
456
Reaction score
102
So I saw these at my LFS and they're beautiful. Anyone have any experience with them?

I heard they're one of the more semI aggressive tetras and need to be in schools. Was planning on trying them with tiger Barb's to see.
 

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Member
Messages
942
Reaction score
425
Location
PA
Experience
More than 10 years
Its a beatifull fish, it seems that it ma be nippy like the surpae tetra, but I don't think that either species would be very good with tiger barbs. the barbs will overwhelm them, the silver tip tetra barely reaches 2 inches.
 

Jckbv

Active Member
Member
Messages
103
Reaction score
20
I have a school of 6 right now and would definitely recommend a larger school. The only aggression I see is within themselves, they leave my neons angels guppies and pearl gouramis alone. But they can be mean with each other IMO. But nothing too bad just nippy. Mine are around 2.5 inches and very hardy. the males have red in their tales and are very easy to sex. IMO unless you plan on breeding a group of all males would be nice. Also, I'd recommend a larger/longer tank as they are pretty active. They school pretty nicely but it depends on the time of day, in the evening I catch mine near the bottom hanging out with my neons. they also eat just about anything. I think mixing them with tiger barbs shouldn't be a problem as long as you monitor them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
456
Reaction score
102
Jckbv said:
I have a school of 6 right now and would definitely recommend a larger school. The only aggression I see is within themselves, they leave my neons angels guppies and pearl gouramis alone. But they can be mean with each other IMO. But nothing too bad just nippy. Mine are around 2.5 inches and very hardy. the males have red in their tales and are very easy to sex. IMO unless you plan on breeding a group of all males would be nice. Also, I'd recommend a larger/longer tank as they are pretty active. They school pretty nicely but it depends on the time of day, in the evening I catch mine near the bottom hanging out with my neons. they also eat just about anything. I think mixing them with tiger barbs shouldn't be a problem as long as you monitor them.
Cool, it's either these or a mix of rasbora's. Which do you guys think would be better? Particularly the purple rasbora's as they look amazing
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
19,362
Reaction score
13,504
Location
Holland (The Netherlands)
Experience
More than 10 years
Silvertips are fish that often are misunderstood.

They have a specific behaviour of showing of and will chase each other (and other fish when kept too cramp) and especially females can be chased until they are exhausted.

A lot of silvertips are brought back to the LFS cause they have a different langiage than most others.

If you can't provide enough space or plants to hide in, have a small tank or don't like their behaviour, then get rasboras.

Be aware they have different behaviour than most other fish but when provided the right circumstamces they are awesome / bold fish.
 

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,883
Reaction score
2,324
Location
Leeds, Yorkshire, England.
Experience
More than 10 years
I have kept and bred Silvertip Tetras and agree with the above by DoubleDutch .

I also had the "bad" behaviour with Penguin Tetras and Boeseman's Rainbows.

I think it has to do with the most aggressive male showing his superior fitness and chasing away (or even eliminating - within the confines of a glass box) the other males and breeding with the most females. His genes are then passed into the next generation at the expense of the others.

Maybe all fish do this to a degree. Even male Neons establish a spawning territory, defend it and invite females to spawn there. However, in Silvertip Tetras and some other species it is quite vigorous and leads to problems.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
456
Reaction score
102
Redshark1 said:
I have kept and bred Silvertip Tetras and agree with the above by DoubleDutch .

I also had the "bad" behaviour with Penguin Tetras and Boeseman's Rainbows.

I think it has to do with the most aggressive male showing his superior fitness and chasing away (or even eliminating - within the confines of a glass box) the other males and breeding with the most females. His genes are then passed into the next generation at the expense of the others.

Maybe all fish do this to a degree. Even male Neons establish a spawning territory, defend it and invite females to spawn there. However, in Silvertip Tetras and some other species it is quite vigorous and leads to problems.
So how many would you put (it any in a 55 gallon) with tiger Barb's


I have a pretty solid school of Barb's so they aren't too crazy
 

Jckbv

Active Member
Member
Messages
103
Reaction score
20
I think 55 is a good size for Silvertips. I was thinking that you shouldn't put the rasboras in with the barbs because they might not be able to compete with them. You could do 10-12 Silvertips and that would look stunning.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
456
Reaction score
102
Jckbv said:
I think 55 is a good size for Silvertips. I was thinking that you shouldn't put the rasboras in with the barbs because they might not be able to compete with them. You could do 10-12 Silvertips and that would look stunning.
Yea, I've always thought rasboras to be more peaceful although a lot of people online said they did well with tigers. If cherry Barb's could do well with Barb's then I'm pretty sure silver tips can too

Similar size and temperment. I intend on planting this tank soon with some Amazon sword, java ferns and anubias. Just eady stuff since I'm pretty noob at planting
 

Jckbv

Active Member
Member
Messages
103
Reaction score
20
sounds good. I mean if either of fish isn't too large you could include a centerpiece fish of some sort.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
456
Reaction score
102
Jckbv said:
sounds good. I mean if either of fish isn't too large you could include a centerpiece fish of some sort.
Barb's are small and the silvertips will be too. Do you have any suggestions
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
456
Reaction score
102
Jckbv said:
how many of each will there be?
There's 10 Barb's right now. Intend on getting 10-12 silvertips as you said
 

Jckbv

Active Member
Member
Messages
103
Reaction score
20
You could do a pair of electric blue acara or a harem of gourami. Maybe a convict?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
456
Reaction score
102
Jckbv said:
You could do a pair of electric blue acara or a harem of gourami. Maybe a convict?
Was afraid the electric blue would eat the silvertips. I think they get big enough
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
19,362
Reaction score
13,504
Location
Holland (The Netherlands)
Experience
More than 10 years
Jckbv said:
I think 55 is a good size for Silvertips. I was thinking that you shouldn't put the rasboras in with the barbs because they might not be able to compete with them. You could do 10-12 Silvertips and that would look stunning.
Tigers will compete with any species amd personally I wouldn't put Silvertips in with them as well. Maybe only bigger fish than the barbs
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
456
Reaction score
102
DoubleDutch said:
Tigers will compete with any species amd personally I wouldn't put Silvertips in with them as well. Maybe only bigger fish than the barbs
At this point probably will just return the tigers. Stocking seems incredibly difficult with them as they get kinda large. It's unfortunate.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
116
Guests online
2,028
Total visitors
2,144

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom