Silvertip Tetra Is Trying To Breathe Air?

MysticEagle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys, first real question post here. I recently added the first group of fish to my newly cycled 20 gallon (8 silvertip tetras). They all seem to be doing great, except today I noticed 1 if then is consistently hanging out at the top like she's trying to breathe atmospheric air. She seems down occasionally but then goes back up.

My first thought was something in my water changed after I did a 20% pwc last night, so I checked the parameters and everything looks good. No ammonia/nitrite and nitrates are still low (can't really tell the number but it definitely looks lower than 20). pH hasn't changed and the water is clear.

The one thing I did change was the conditioner: from API tap conditioner to seachem prime. So I thought maybe I didn't add enough? For now I've added the normal dose of API to see if that helps.

Any other thoughts? I'll update again if I noticed any changes.

Well she quickly deteriorated and I think I lost her. ☹

Also I got them 4 days ago from my LFS and their tanks were all immaculately clean and use same city tap water that I'm using.

Attachments

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
MysticEagle said:
Hey guys, first real question post here. I recently added the first group of fish to my newly cycled 20 gallon (8 silvertip tetras). They all seem to be doing great, except today I noticed 1 if then is consistently hanging out at the top like she's trying to breathe atmospheric air. She seems down occasionally but then goes back up.

My first thought was something in my water changed after I did a 20% pwc last night, so I checked the parameters and everything looks good. No ammonia/nitrite and nitrates are still low (can't really tell the number but it definitely looks lower than 20). pH hasn't changed and the water is clear.

The one thing I did change was the conditioner: from API tap conditioner to seachem prime. So I thought maybe I didn't add enough? For now I've added the normal dose of API to see if that helps.

Any other thoughts? I'll update again if I noticed any changes.

Well she quickly deteriorated and I think I lost her. ☹

Also I got them 4 days ago from my LFS and their tanks were all immaculately clean and use same city tap water that I'm using.
She may have had an underlying issue so it’s probably not something you did. However, try to only dose 2 drops per gallon with prime... a little goes a very long way! I know that you can safely overdose up to 5 times in a case of emergency but, I have read that overdosing on prime could deplete oxygen in the tank. I’m not sure how true this is but I read this on seachems own forum on their q&a page about prime so I figured I’d put my two cents in. As long as your other fish are doing just fine (eating normal, pooping normal, swimming normal. Etc.), I wouldn’t worry too much because it could’ve been a health issue with just that particular fish.

RobinIsACattto

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
On the bottle it reads 5mL per 5g, which translates to 1mL per gallon. So, if it's a 50% water change, put 10mL of prime into the new water (or however much each of you decide to divide it up, ex. 3-4gallons of water will need 3-4mL)
The bottle should have more instructions after that

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
RobinIsACattto said:
On the bottle it reads 5mL per 5g, which translates to 1mL per gallon. So, if it's a 50% water change, put 10mL of prime into the new water (or however much each of you decide to divide it up, ex. 3-4gallons of water will need 3-4mL)
The bottle should have more instructions after that
For seachem prime? I don’t know where you read that. On their website and on my bottle, it states that one capful (5ml) treats 50 gallons of water. Each thread on the cap is approximately 1ml. Says it right on the directions on their website too

It’s 2 drops per 1 gallon of water from my calculations as well as the calculations on their own q&a forum.

RobinIsACattto

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TheBettaSushi said:
For seachem prime? I don’t know where you read that. On their website and on my bottle, it states that one capful (5ml) treats 50 gallons of water. Each thread on the cap is approximately 1ml. Says it right on the directions on their website too

It’s 2 drops per 1 gallon of water from my calculations as well as the calculations on their own q&a forum.
Well, I guess I've been overdosing my tank.... must have misread the bottle. You think that'll affect anything?

blindfaith429

Reaction score
My prime bottle says 2 drops per gallon as well, I put 12 to 15 drops into 5 gallons when I do a 50% WC on my 10 gallon tank.

OP, sorry to hear about your loss, hope all the others are doing well.

OP
M

MysticEagle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for your replies guys. So far all the others seem to be doing fine, so I have my fingers crossed. It was quite shocking of course.

I'll keep that in mind about prime. When I did my water change I added about 1mL I believe (using the first cap thread), according the the directions as you've mentioned, so I can't imagine that caused an overdose. I changed probably only 3 gallons or so.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
RobinIsACattto said:
Well, I guess I've been overdosing my tank.... must have misread the bottle. You think that'll affect anything?
I think the zero on the number 50 may have been skipped. Lol it happens. No need to worry. As long as your fish are good and healthy it’s fine. Just try not to over do it next time unless you really have to (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes because you can’t get to a water change ASAP)

MysticEagle said:
Thanks for your replies guys. So far all the others seem to be doing fine, so I have my fingers crossed. It was quite shocking of course.

I'll keep that in mind about prime. When I did my water change I added about 1mL I believe (using the first cap thread), according the the directions as you've mentioned, so I can't imagine that caused an overdose. I changed probably only 3 gallons or so.
Yeah no, it wouldn’t have. I’m sure that one fish was just sick from the beginning. Just keep a close eye on the rest of them for a few days to make sure but I’m sure they’ll be fine.

New Threads