Silvertip Tetra Aggression

Jakuba

Reaction score
Help!

I’ve just added an extra 5 silvertip tetras to my 36 gallon tank which already had 5 Silvertips. Really wanted a nice schooling fish for a 15 fish school, but they’re now chasing each other around and fighting. 5 of them (presumably the new ones) have been herded to the top corner and the chasing has stopped (don’t think it’s an oxygen problem, the original five are fine at mid level where they usually are).

I understand this is probably mating behavior but is their anyway to coalesce them all? Would it be good to quarantine the old fish and re introduce them or add more females maybe? Really wanted a nice school but they just don’t get along. Any ideas?

Parameters:
0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, 0 Ammonia
7.3 pH
74 degrees F
Kh 60
Gh 30
tannic

Tank also has one oto cat and some baby snails. Water sprite, crypts (spiralis), Anubias, and giant hair grass for plants.
E389094E-8C70-4557-80B9-36E145669FF1.jpeg
3C5EABE5-73B6-4530-A505-BB654B7380EF.jpeg

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Give the new Tetras a couple of days to settle in. A heirarchy will likely develope & things should settle down a bit.

OP
Jakuba

Jakuba

Reaction score
A201 said:
Give the new Tetras a couple of days to settle in. A heirarchy will likely develope & things should settle down a bit.
Wilco and thanks! - hopefully they don’t hurt eachother :nailbiting:

Jackkelly

Reaction score
If it continues past a couple of days. I don’t think it would hurt to alter the scape of the tank. I tend to do it when I notice on going aggression before I remove the fish.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With more aggressive fish, it is a good plan to move the decoration around before adding new fish. This removes claimed teritories and puts everyone on equal ground. I want to say that tetras will work it out, but I have had some aggressive tetras in the past, and changing up the deco couldn't hurt.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Silvertips have quite a different behaviour than other tetras. Theybare not really shoalingfish and can endlessly chase other males of females. Often they are brought back to the LFS cause of this agrssiveness.
But they simply have a different "language".
Provide them with some more plants to hide in . If you "know and understand" them they're really great fish.

New Threads