Silver Tip Tetra Versus Cardinal Tetra 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by Puck44, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Puck44

Puck44 Valued Member Member

Hi, I am almost (hopefully)done cycling my 20 gallon long aquarium!!!

so we are going to have three honey gouramis (female) , A school of around six albino Cory’s and we also want a main school of fish!
    The options are narrowed down between cardinal tetras and silvertip tetras.! So I was wondering what you think the pros and cons of these two Fish are. We are going to keep it around 80° Fahrenheit. Would like any recommendations or anything like that. Thank you! Also we would like to keep around 10 of them!

so what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  2. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

I have both on my 60 Gallon community tank. It's hard to pick since they are both amazing fish!!
    I love my silver tip because they are very active, not as much as very tight schoolers.
    My cardinals on the other hand schools better, and most people that visits us notice the cardinal more.
    at the end it's up to you! but both of them are great fishes! Good Luck!

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Silvertips could be quite busy in a 20G.
    Cardinals are more schoolers

4. OP
    OP
    Puck44

Cool thanks! How would silver tips do at 80 degrees?

Thanks, what do you mean when you say busy? There not to big for a 20 gal long right?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Silvertips have a different "language" than other tetras. The males will chase females constantly till they are exhausted in the plants. They constantly show off (males) etc...

6. Ryan P

Agree to this this is the behavior that I find on my school of Silvertips. that's the reason why they are active.

I keep my tank at 26-27C (78-80F)

7. OP
    OP
    Puck44

Cool! Thanks for all of the responses everybody!
    What would you recommend the male/ female ratio be? Maybe 8 females/2males? Also I might keep them at 79-80degrees. Are they compatible with honey gouramis? What ph do they prefer? 8? 7? 6?
    So would
    6x Albino Cory’s
    3x female honeys
    10x silver tips 8 female/2male be a good stocking?
    Thanks!!!

8. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

pH isn't an issue. Just keep it stable.

9. Ryan P

I'm not a stocking expert so I'll let other's handle that.

In terms of sexing though, I have 20 on my tank and don't know the ratio, I got them as batches and really didn't ask for specific ratio of M:F. It could also be hard to sex them at the LFS since they don't color up really well on the store. If I were to re do it though I think you're on point on getting more F than M, mines are very active batch and I think those are M chasing each other and/or M chasing F showing off.

10. Firestarter2018

Firestarter2018 New Member Member

I love my Silvertips. They are cool to watch. Everytime I come to the tank , they think it's feeding time. The males have a bronze color to them.

11. AustinS

AustinS Valued Member Member

The female silvertips are more yellow than orange compared to the males, along with the rounder stomach, etc. that's typical of female tetras. I feel bad for mine sometimes because I have 9 of them and only 3 are female :nailbiting:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice