Silver tip tetra lost its color?? Question

1. play9maker15 Initiate Member

So I got a new group of silver tip tetras to bring the group up to 6 total. 5 of them have the silver tips with the black line in the tail. However, one of them still is just white. I read this it could be from poor feeding and/or stress. I have watch the fish eat all week long and his doesn't seem stressed at all to me. It isn't being chased or anything either. My water parameters are perfect and have been all week using the API master test kit. Not sure what to do with the poor little guy. I don't have my QT tank ready yet to take it out of the 55G tank so I guess just watch it more???

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, if you have a picture it might help but if indeed something is wrong, without a qt tank it is kind of a mute point. Hopefully, it will calm down and join the gang! :)

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Well, I'm not entirely familiar with this fish, but there could be a few other reasons for the coloration, other than stress/illness...

Sometimes fish developing with certain substrates display their colors differently (e.g. fish with white sand substrate may appear washed out as their bodies attempt to "blend" in). This could have developed in the tank he grew up in.

There is always the possibility that you were not sold the exact type of tetra or were sold a kind of hybrid. Not always likely, but it happens.

As long as the fish is behaving naturally, I wouldn't worry too much.