Silver Shark hardiness Question

Discussion in 'Bala Shark, Silver Shark' started by Jrobber, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Real quick:

How long should I have my tank set up before being able to have a Silver shark?

2. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

They are fairly hardy, presuming they're given the proper conditions. If you're looking at adding them to your 29g, you won't find them to be hardy at all. They will be stressed by the too-small swimming space and either ram themselves into the walls or attempt to jump out through the top and either succeed or injure themselves when they slam against the lid.

If you've got a huge (6ft long or more) tank that you're cycling for them, you should be able to add them once the tank is fully cycled.

3. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

And that is why I started looking here rather than listening to the fish store. Within a week, my silver shark had died in my 29 gallon tank, even though the worker said it would be perfectly fine in my tank.

4. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Yeah. I was once told a koi would be okay in a 20g tropical tank. It amazes me how little the folks at the pet stores can know. Don't get me wrong, some of them are truly experienced in the field, but so many of them don't really know anything about keeping fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice