Silver molly with black lines?

1. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I recently bought 4 mollies after falling in love with them at my pet shop. I have now noticed that my silver molly (I have a silver, a black and 2 dalmatian, 1 light spotted, 1 dark spotted) has developed 4 black vertical lines on his body on each side. I have no idea what these are, but do know that they may be stress lines, as bettas get similar reactions, but any help appreciated thanks...
    I have also noticed that my small (only a few months old...) guppy male Randy has been chasing him, living up to his name shall we say, so if they are stress lines, this could be the reason. But why oh why oh why would Randy be chasing an adult MALE molly :nono:??

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Tiger fish. Seems I've heard that Guppies and Mollies can interbreed or at least try to. I don't think the behavior you are seeing from the two is too far out of the ordinary.

As for the black bars. Very well could be stress or even mating bars. Let's see what some other members have to say.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Tiger I had a male molly who chase a dwarf cichlid and tried to mate with him! (he wouldnt go near the female one!! but when I added female mollies it settled down.

I think livebearers are just frisky little pests! (in a good way) do you have any female gups in the tank?

4. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Thanks guys, hadn't heard of mating bars on a male before that's why I thought stress. Esp as Randy decided to turn... That boy will mate with anything! I have heard about interbreeding that results in sterile deformed fry Ken, so he is possibly mistaking a male for a female in his desire shall we say!...

Diggly, there are no female gups, but plenty in my guppy tank. He was in this tank to grow up a bit before being set free with the females (He is my only male and from my first spawn too, plus all the fry females are much much younger and didnt want them to get preggers and stunt their growth). He should be ready soon, and I have a lovely female I hope he goes for. It should stop him for about, ooooh, 5 minutes...