Silver mollies aggressive???

Izabela

Valued Member
Reaction score
We have a 2 month old 50 gal tank, cycled, with some guppies (5), 1 gourami, and a couple of silver mollies in it. The problem is the mollies are almost constantly chasing each other, and nipping at each other. I have no clue on the sex of these or if it is even significant in this situation. I thought mollies were generally peacfull? Any ideas? Would they benefit from more mollies in the tank?

Izabela

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You shouldn't cycle the tank with fish because it'll horribly stress the fish. Check the breeding section to know how to tell the gender of mollies. Buy more female mollies. Always have more females than males.

Izabela

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a little detail pet stores don't tell newbies like me....out of 10 fish 7 survived the cycling . Problem with telling the difference in the sex of my mollies is that they both look the same and I have nothing to compare them to. But I am going out to the pet store to get more and hopefully there I will be able to determine what I already have and buy accordingly.h

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
People have been saying that Mollies are peaceful. For some apparent reason, they seem to be becoming more and more aggressive. To tell the difference in the sex, you have to look at the analfin. For me to tell, with any livebearing fish, males analfin looks kinda like a small **** (sorry, don't mean to offend anyone). Females is more out like a regular fin.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom