Silver Dollars With Swim Bladder??

ghostie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So this morning I woke up and three of my silver dollars appear to have swim bladder. 2 were floating on the top unable to swim down and 1 was swimming but almost vertically.

Stocking-- I have a 30 gallon tank with a Fluval canister filter. There is currently 10 juvenile silver dollars, the biggest is just over 2". Don't worry, I know the tank is to small for them, I just have them in my planted tank until they grow big enough to go in my large tank. Other inhabitants in the tank are- 8 bronze cory cats, 1 juvenile albino hoplo catfish, 2 juvenile angelfish, and about a dozen guppies.

History-- Yesterday I did a fairly large water change, about 50%. A few hours after the water change I noticed all the fish were breathing fast. I attributed it to stress as I had worked in the tank quite a bit yesterday, removing a crayfish as I was worried she might be a threat to my cories. I usually do a 20% water change once or twice a week. About 2 days ago I fed freeze dried blood worms, more than usual, that had not soaked before feeing fed to the fish.

Medical concerns-- I also added 4 silver dollars about a week ago. After I had put them in the tank I noticed a couple had some white spot on their fins resembling white spot, hower it has since disappeared and no other fish have any white spots.

Additional info-
I think It is swim bladder, but it is weird that 3 all contracted it at the same time, and only the silver dollars, bit then again I don't have any experience with swim bladder. Any help would be appreciated. I did a 50% water change this morning and added a tiny bit of epsom salt. The sick silver dollars have been put in a mesh breeding box at the top of the tank so to restrict their movements and keep them safe from other fish. I am at work now so I can't give water parameters, but my tank is fairly stable and well established and I have done 2 50% water changes in the last 2 days. I think it is beyond feeding them frozen peas, I expect the 2 bad ones will be dead by the time I get home, but I want to at least try to save the one bad dollar, and prevent it spreading.

Bryangar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did you match the temperature of the new water to the tank water? did you use dechlorinater?

ghostie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes, I used Prime. The water wasn't perfectly matched, but it was fairly close. I didn't do the change any different to how I normally would

Top Bottom