Silver Dollars spawning.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Videos' started by hampalong, Jan 1, 2015.

1. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have a mixed group of 11 dollars which includes a breeding pair of Metynnis altidorsalis (I believe), which is the commonest 'Silver Dollar' both in the US and Europe, being one of at least two species that have been farmed as standard 'Silver Dollars' for a long time. The other species is presumably M. hypsauchen (formerly M. schreitmuelleri). I have a pair of these aswell but I can't conclusively ID them.

Anyway, this pair spawns at most full moons, and the occasional new moon too. I bred Red Hooks, they bury their eggs in the substrate. These Metynnis are scatterers. They're all over the tank, squirting out a few eggs here and there. It lasts for about a day to a day and a half, with only brief rests. The eggs are tiny, as small as small tetra eggs. Some of the other fish follow them round and eat the eggs as they're laid. Here's a couple of poor quality videos of the pair spawning.

[video=youtube;mSTaQcQE7IM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSTaQcQE7IM[/video]

[video=youtube;oWKDw5oZ0Uc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWKDw5oZ0Uc[/video]

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    That's cool. Have you raised any before?

3. OP
    OP
    hampalong

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    No I haven't. There's not much chance of saving any here without putting the pair in their own tank which I don't want to do.
    When the Red Hooks spawned there were about 2 dozen large dollars in the tank. It just wasn't practical at the time to remove everyone.

4. swayamsd

swayamsdValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    What are u gonna do with those fry?

5. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Opened by request

6. OP
    OP
    hampalong

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you read the thread you'll see there were no fry. The other fish ate the eggs. :)

Thanks Lucy. I think a lot of old threads remain relevant (if harder to find), and can be added to at a later date. Threads that are informative rather than a time-specific problem etc. I was surprised because it was closed immediately after someone posted a question in it (even though the answer is in the thread). :)

7. swayamsd

swayamsdValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    Oh lol thanks.