Silver Dollars.....poor Man Discus?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by andy305mia, Apr 3, 2019.

1. andy305miaValued MemberMember

I have been considering my next build, I like the idea of stocking 5-6 silver dollars in a 55 gallon tank. They always remind me of discus, like the albino version. I know they are different species but just wonder what others think. Leaning towards discus since they are cheaper than they once were and easier to keep as well. Thoughts???

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Discus hans is the discus guy. He has lots of videos on YouTube. Amazing looking fish.

3. Magicpenny75Valued MemberMember

I think that would be a cool idea. I also have seen Gold Severum described as the poor man's discus. I wish I had gotten them instead.

4. andy305miaValued MemberMember

Can't have a school of severum in a 55 :( Cool fish, I'm gonna go with Discus, i have see them as low as $40 a fish on Liveaquaria. For something that I plan on keeping for many years, I personally think its worth the investment. I'd probably go with 6 in case in case I lose a fish so they can still be in numbers. I paid $40 for a King Kong Blood Parrot I have now, it's awesome discus are affordable now and captive bred.

5. andy305miaValued MemberMember

madaboutdiscus has 5 discus for $125, might even throw some german rams in there too

6. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Why buy them unseen?
    If you think they’re worth the investment, don’t touch them for $40 through the mail. Pay proper money for proper fish, from a breeder. Otherwise you’re just asking for trouble, with discus.

7. david1978Fishlore LegendMember